I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank design
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 11:30AM

While surfing the internet I came across this statement and picture.

This blank was constructed using a technique similar to the Hextekâ„¢ manufacturing process pioneered by the Cape Fear Rod Company.
This process involves bonding six T-shaped segments together forming three individual I-beams within the rod blank.
The design eliminates the traditional spine of the rod, ensuring that when the rod is flexed there is no side to side pull.
Our rod blank is similar in design to the Cape Fear rods but stronger and far superior to traditional rods.
Each has additional layers of fiberglass wrapped around the rod blank to dramatically increase the overall strength and functionality of the rod.
This rod offers unparalleled sensitivity, durability, and incredible strength.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If this design is so fantastic then why are the other blank manufactures not using this design?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank design
Posted by: Terry Reece (---.nets.nemais.navy.mil)
Date: May 14, 2008 11:37AM

I have always heard really good things about the Cape Fear blanks from the offshore crowd around here, but I would think the cost to manufacture a blank like that is the biggest drawback. I imagine is much more difficult to make than a standard blank that is rolled on a mandrel.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 11:40AM

For the same reason that the aviation layups used by GUSA and CTS hasn't taken the rodbuilding world by storm. It cost more, and the overseas blank factories used by most would have to retool.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2008 11:56AM

Mainly because the performance such construction offers is not up to par with the better tubular/linear construction process. A tube gives you more stiffness/power for the weight involved.

The old Cape Fear Rods were indeed tough, and indeed heavy. These are likely along the same lines. Raford Trask, president of Cape Fear once told me that you could cut halfway through one of those rods with a hacksaw and it would stay together. So, if you need a rod that you plan to cut into with a hacksaw, or something that is going to withstand some tremendous abuse, they could be for you. If you're strickly looking for performance, they won't likely be what you're after.

You just have decide what attributes you require and make your blank selection from there.

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.186-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 04:40PM

I have used a few of their heavier offshore models. Absolutely the toughest thing out there IMHO - There are a few lighter inshore models, but I have not handled those, but I hear they are not heavy. It is all about give and takes... The Hex design definitely gives some attributes that tubes can not - you probably have to see and use one to appreciate. Think about I-beam "i" construction, twist, crushing force, etc...

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 02:11AM

Unless blank weight is your paramount consideration in a rod, the Cape Fear design was, and is, the strongest rod with the widest capability in any of the designs offered. They were built tough, from the grips to the tip.

The Cape fear blanks and rods themselves were quite expensive because the manufacturing process was quite expensive. But across the board, whether casting, spinning, trolling, live-bait or any other specialty, these rods were the most versatile sticks I've ever owned. Obviously, "absolute" weight was never one of my issues. My 6-1/2' casting rod is usually paired with an Abu-Garcia 6500 or a Boss270. The 7' spinner usually packs a Van Staal 150. The stories these rods hold about fish(es)-of-a-lifetime are - well, "priceless".

I've still got two, a 6-1/2 casting rod and a 7' "Matamuskeet" commerative spinner. I'm in the process of changing out the guides now, partly because some of the original guides were starting to show some corrosion (my fault) and partly because I want to maximize the design with current technology (i.e., high-frame VS3 or A-frame styles). When one of our local stores folded I was able to get a 7' live-baiter for $150 and I later sold it for $250 and I've regretted it ever since.

For those for whom minimum weight is a holy grail, I'm sorry if I've upset or offended you. But in many cases, this is the finest blank I can recommend, for me personally, and for our customers. I'd rather rebuild one of these, than do a scratch build of almost anything else.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Dave Gibson (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 08:49AM

Spencer can you give us a little detail about "aviation layups" don't think I've heard that term before. Are you referring to structural tresses in the blank itself or something else??

Dave

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 11:35AM

Used to be some info on the GUSA site. Also a lot of info in the archives and some of the graphite gurus explained the pros and cons of the different layups. There is no extra trusses of foof, it's all in how you lay the materials on the mandrels.
Essentially the aerospace industry needed to increase the fatique life of graphite structures, so they came up with a different layup than what was originally used to make fiberglass blanks, etc they using in WW II which got the name of the textile layup by some.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 11:52AM

Dave, GUSA calls it the "Dual Helix". On the new GUSA COmposite blanks which have the DHX, the tip has lifting power due to teh design of the blank, whereas a lot of glass and composite rods need to have a much larger OD and more material in the tip...and a lot of them still flatten out when a fish is on.

Date: May 15, 2008 02:37PM

It has never been hard to make a rod blank that is super tough - that's easy to do. To make one extremely light and extremely durable (resistant to abuse) at the same time is very hard.

I built the very first 2 HexTek blanks that came off the production line. These were 1-piece fly rod for Billy Pate made by request of Raford Trask, the company president. The rods worked fine but were extremely heavy and inefficient (sloppy even). As you might imagine, this isn't good for almost any sort of fly rod. It wouldn't be nearly as important for boat and trolling rods, of course.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2008 12:11PM

I am hearing a mixed signal here - is it being said that the CTS blank design and construction leaves something to be desired???
Herb

Date: May 18, 2008 05:33PM

I haven't ready anything like that. I think we're discussing the HexTek and similar type products - all of which were designed for use in structures related to buildings and bridges. If I recall, what Cape Fear sold was the HexTek design that originated in Australia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster