I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Reel Seat Question Help
Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 09, 2008 09:08PM

I'm in the process of putting together a spinning rod and have a question about attaching the spinning reel seat with threads up or threads down. I was advised by a reputable manufacturer to put the reel seat "threads down" to avoid holding the threads while fishing. I'm a bit confused by this. Does this mean literally threads toward the butt, or does this mean down locking, which would mean threads toward the tip top? Help appreciated.

John Gertz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Reel Seat Question Help
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 09, 2008 09:24PM

John, I like the threads toward the butt for spinning rods, your hand is at the front of the reel seat when spin casting so your not griping the treads.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 09, 2008 09:42PM

No right or wrong way. It's strictly personal preference. I generally prefer the threads on the butt end for the same reason that Tim does

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2008 08:34AM

I've changed over the years and now put the threads to the front.

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 10:13AM

Tom, what's the advantage of putting the threads toward the tip? I was told to put the threads down, which made me wonder if that meant down locking (threads toward the tip), or literally threads down toward the butt? I can't reach the person who suggested this until next week and would like to install the reel seat and handle this weekend. I was hoping someone here could help me clear up what was meant by threads down. I assume it means threads toward the butt, but then the down locking question popped in my head and here I am. Thanks again for the help with direction on this.

John

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2008 10:56AM

Either way will work just fine. I find that by putting the threads to the front your palm heel will rest on the rear hood and grip, instead of the threads.

The key for me is in shaping the rear grip to perfectly match the OD of the seat where the seat and grip meet. I then turn a slight convex area just a bit behind that junction so the heel of the hand rests comfortably and securely in that area. It allows me to hold the rod/reel very securely with less effort that had previously been required.

The money and research I spent on the ergonomics article really changed the way I think about fishing rod handles. In my opinion, most are not very good and this is particularly true of most commercially made rods. I'm not saying they don't or won't work - just that there is tremendous room for improvement. My owqn rods built in the last few years are markedly more comfortable than those I built 10 to 20 years ago. In fact, I no longer bother fishing those older rods. When they were built and I was using them regularly, I thought they were just fine and plenty comfortable. But I didn't know how uncomfortable they actually were until I learned how to build handles that fit my hand better.

I'd suggest this - temporarily mount the reel seat on snug fitting masking tape bushings. Go out and cast the rod a bit then flip the seat and try it again. Spend 10 to 15 minutes with it each way and see what you think. Go with what feels best to you. Do keep in mind that unless you alter the length of the butt grip, flipping the seat one way versus the other results in a butt grip that is effectively one inch longer, or shorter, depending on which way you have the seat positioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2008 10:59AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 11:55PM

I agree again with Tom and for the same reason on my spinning rods i put the tread to the front,but instead of spinning reel seat i use blank exposed baitcasting reel seat (after i cut the trigger).
This reel seat fit more easy on the blank in the right place,so i don't need to use arbor ,just to glue the reel seat.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2008 06:42AM

One thing that I have come across is that when mounting the reel seat with the threads "up", if you are using a casting aid for spinning reels, it gets in the way of mounting the casting aid in a semi permanant position. You would need to remove the casting aid to unscrew the locking nut on the reel seat to remove the reel. Not really pertinent to the topic but a heads up for those who use the casting aid. Otherwise, I like the feel of the reel seat threads up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster