I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle trim rings-help
Posted by: Michael Day (---.static.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: May 09, 2008 10:09PM

I am building up a spey rod and want to add some very thin trim rings to add some accent to the cork handles. Probably black.
what do you recommend to use and where to get? Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2008 10:29PM by Michael Day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle trim rings-help
Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 09, 2008 10:47PM

I don't know how the others feel but I use craft foam sheet from the craft store. Haven't had any problem. Look at a thin white,black, white for accent. It is one of my favorites and looks really cool in a handle..........Have a good dayMichael.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 01:12AM

plactic poker chips is another alternative.

or burnt cork!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 01:29AM

The craft foam is a great choice.

This may be an experiment I have to try myself...

...mix some epoxy and tint it with Testors paint (the pigment that settles in the bottom of the jar under the clear liquid medium.). Pour the tinted epoxy into small pools on a non-adhearing surface and let it dry; or pour it into a non-stick cup that will let it spread out evenly and flatly. Next, remove the 'buttons' or epoxy coins, sand them into a rough shape you want, and drill a hole into them to fit onto your mandrel or all-thread rod between cork rings and glue up with Rod Bond. Turn/sand your grip to get a clean and flat edge.

I also seem to recall seeing some black, plastic washers that might be large diameter enough to use as a thin trim band of color...or cut circles from a black plastic case (like for a dvd)...or black plastic trashcan (like the one in my office). Not sure how it would sand down, though; but I'd guess with a fine enough grit sandpaper or even buffing wheel it would shine up okay.

Poker chips are thin and durable and of a consistent diameter.

The list goes on and on...

Good luck and have fun!

Les

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 10, 2008 02:41AM

Go to an auto parts store and pick up some gasket material. It even comes in several colors. Another I thing that I picked up from Jay Hunt is to use floor tiles. They are cheap and come in a ton of colors and can be glued up and turned/sanded right in the grip. Can probably get broken /chipped ones for nothing from any flooring place.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 10:36AM

EVA strips or craft foam is the most readily available. Just be aware when you turn it, it won't sand at the same rate as cork.

Burnt cork is another easy alternative. You can cut the rings into thin strips. and use it for accent.

Also, I'm experimenting with relieving a band in a cork handle and either wrapping with thread then epoxy, or just tinting finish and dripping it in. This should work great for straight trim but to imitate any angled cuts it's best to laminate pieces then turn.

Terry

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 10, 2008 10:46AM

From a black plastic CD cover case, you can cut several rings. A good 1/4" paper punch can pop the hole thru the center. These will make a very thin, light and strong trim ring.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 10, 2008 10:47AM

From a black plastic CD cover case, you can cut several rings. A good 1/4" paper punch can pop the hole thru the center. These will make a very thin, light and strong trim ring.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 09:53PM

Just as extra info, be aware that working plastic trim rings will require a different lathe speed that what the cork will beed - quite a bit faster, actually. Just be careful near the edges where the trim ring joins the cork.

We've found that small jeweler's files are the ticket for this sort of thing.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 10, 2008 10:13PM

Michael;
Just posted a sample photo of the commercial floor tile trim rings that Mike Barkley mentioned .

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2008 08:49AM

how about the wooden checkerboard trim rings offered by Mudhole. they are very sharp and will dress up any handle. there are several colors to chose from and that makes it easy to find a color combination for your particular project

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster