I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

concept guides make tapping sound
Posted by: zachary hoffpauir (---.srvs.usps.gov)
Date: May 06, 2008 03:50PM

I just completed 2 casting rods with concept guides that are making a light tapping sound when the rod is shaken.
Anyone else having this problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: concept guides make tapping sound
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 03:57PM

Tip top loose?

DR

Date: May 06, 2008 04:02PM

Tip top on both rods are secure.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: May 06, 2008 04:22PM

It may be related to the way the guide foot was prepped. Is there an underwrap or is the guide right on the blank? I have had some make noise from the tunnel area and after use it stopped .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.americainter.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 04:59PM

You have an air bubble trapped underneath the finish around the guidefoot. 98% of the time it will stop by itself. IF it doesn't, just remove the guide then rewrap and refinish.

Posted by: Tam Nguyen (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 05:03PM

Haha,

Is that what that is. I have that on all my rods. How do you prevent this

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 06:05AM

use thin thread finish as your first coat, heat it some even to thin it further after its apply and still wet if in doubt. It will penetrate everything it will fill every gap and leave no space for air to be trapped underneath.

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2008 10:44AM

The exact same thing happened to me on a spinning rod recently. I figured out that I had put the Threadmaster on a little thick, and the finish ran up the guide leg a little. When it was flexed, the finish was separating from the guide leg and making a little tapping sound. Now that the rod is a few months old, I guess it has "broken in " a little and it no longer makes the sound. I now just keep a close eye on the guide legs during the first 30 minutes of drying and wick away any finish that's running up the guide legs with a toothpick.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 11:00AM

Make sure that you use a needle, toothpick, etc to add finish into the tunnels at the opening where the guide leg rises from the blank. If you put some finish into the opening, it will wick all the length of the tunnel. It's the only way to make sure that the tunnels are filled

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2008 01:39PM

Zachary,

I can't possibly tell what it is you're hearing and don't want to presume anything, but just in case, are you sure it's not the reel seat nut that's making the noise?

I only ask because I had a personal experience with another builder where the seat hood nut turned out to the culprit.

Date: May 09, 2008 02:12PM

I checked the reel seat hood to make sure that it was not the problem, since getting info from this forum i believe it is the finish on the back side of the guides that when the rod flexes the the finish seperates from the back side of the guide leg and makes a light tapping sound.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster