I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracked Epoxy on Guide Feet
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: May 06, 2008 05:23PM

I recently took a good look at a rod I built last Spring and fished all last Summer. I caught a great number of fish on it, which is a good thing. On some of the guides (H&H single foot) the epoxy has cracked at the end of the guide where it touches the bare blank. After searching previous posts on this board, I have some guesses as to why.

1. I can tell you that I probably did not grind the feet enough.
2. I let a liberal amount of epoxy form on the bare blank in front of the guide.
3. I use a heat gun on the freshly painted wraps to get rid of bubbles and allow the epoxy to spread out better.

I am convinced I need to grind flatter and thinner, but should I paint epoxy only slightly beyond the edge of the wrap as someone suggested? In addition, how much does this heat thing really matter in regards to changing the eopxy so it will crack later? I am using Threadmaster and I have actually seen people ( I think it was Andy Dear himself) say that Threadmaster loves heat.

Thanks.

Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2008 06:05PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracked Epoxy on Guide Feet
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2008 05:47PM

Tony,

I think you've pretty much answered your own question, by the searches you did. Which is the first thing anyone should do before they ask. Definately only take the epoxy just over the last wrap thread on guides et al. As for heating the epoxy to help it flow or pop bubbles, it doesn't take much, you shouldn't be heating for an extended time. Just a few seconds is enough. On that note, I never use a flame, I use a craft heat gun like Ken Preston uses. usually one pass down and back is sufficient. Above and beyond all this, don't let the epoxy creep up the guide feet toward the ring. I know that this is a PITA because you have to do more babysitting than you'd like, but it works. If you do use a flame (lighter / alcohol lamp) hold the flame to the side and not directly underneath. I understand some of this is probably retorical, but this is what works for me.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2008 06:07PM

Heat contributes to cracking as it slightly changes the epoxy cure and eventual properties. A little gentle heat isn't going to harm anything, but torching the stuff is neither necessary nor good for it.

Grind, sand, file the feet edges to a more shallow taper. This helps as much as anything.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: May 06, 2008 08:16PM

how many coats of finish did you apply? i think i've had something similar happen on a rod i was too eager to fish and it had only one coat.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 08:51PM

Thanks to all who replied. I am using the same craft heat gun that Bill in WV describes. I use it as sparingly as possible and hold it far away so it ends up more like hot air and not extreme heat. As Bill pointed out, I had answered my own questions but was looking for confirmation. I do not why I decided to carry over so far. I thought I was doing the epoxy version of a Forhan wrap.

I think the problem is much more accentuated on single foot WIRE guides. The insert guides tend to come with an arrow shaped foot that does not make me worry as much about holding by wrap alone. More importantly, because the foot is wide and squarish, it is difficult to allow epoxy to creep over the wrap without letting it creep UP the foot - something I definitely avoid.

Cheers, mates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2008 09:12PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 12:35AM

Let me suggest two other possibilities:

1) Your thread itself might have a weak or loose section that's not holding the guide foot evenly along it's whiole length; if so, the guide foot has moved enough to crack the finish. In particular, the now-discontinued Rice threads had this problem right near the end of their production.

2) You might have the guide itself located in a spot in the layout where it is overloaded, or stressed. That'll cause a similar effect.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 10:02AM

First of all there is no way to permantly prevent cracking at the guide feet however it can be made to last many years before it will occur. I build salt water rods and I think I have had great sucess with that problem and no one has ever come to me with a complaint on feet cracking. Let me tell you how I go about it.
First I use an A underwrap also an A overwrap with a final D overwrap. (Remember I am building heavy salt water rods).

I never ever use more then two coats (flex coat) on the guides. This was a tip that Dale Clemens gave me years and years ago.

The last step is with the grinding of the guides. Here we have the crux of the problem I believe. As a rod flexes the guides being metal will not bend or conform with the flex of the blank and that causes an upward pressure against the threads and the finish causing cracking over a period of time.

After the guides are grinded I then bend the the feet ever so imperceptibly downward (YOU DONT WANT TO DO IT TOO MUCH TO MAKE AN INVERTED V SHAPE. This will help compensate against the pressure of the feet against the thread and finish when the rod is bending.

It has worked for me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster