I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

question: can you help?
Posted by: Ben Taylor (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2008 09:07PM

I bought what looks like a rod kit/parts at a garage sale. Thought this would do for a first build since the price was right. There were no guide spacing instructions in the bag of parts. The reel seat is one of the cut out types so you feel the blank. It has Pacific Bay molded into the seat. The blank has a label - Rogue MB 705. The surface is dull. I have looked on Pacific Bay web site and can not find it. Also on the bag of parts it says PRMBC 783. I am trying to figure out what I have.

Thanks!

Ben Taylor is a fictitious name. This post was made Thomas "Buddy" Tison of Jacksonville, FL and/or his brother, James D. Tison of San Antonio TX, in an effort to undermine this forum and its users.

They used this fictitious account and related email address to send themselves anonymous, harassing messages and then falsely claimed they were coming from this forum.

This information was uncovered in a recent legal action against their rod building organization.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 10:18AM by Moderator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question: can you help?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 04, 2008 09:51PM

You've got a pretty nice pig&jig or pitching blank there.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: May 04, 2008 09:55PM

It sounds like a Rogue River blank, Made in Oragon. I think the town is Medford. I think they have a web site.
Good Wraps Bob. They are desent blanks. Saw the rods at a Sports show WA

Posted by: steve stanfill (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2008 10:12PM

Ben
If your just getting started, pick up a copy of, Rod building guide by Tom Kirkman from one of the sponsors on the left. Covers blanks ,seats guides, Guide spacing and much more ,You wont be disappointed.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 04, 2008 11:55PM

Also, hit the LIBRARY, FAQ'S and GLOSSARY pages at the top. There is a lot of great information/articles there.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2008 12:41AM

Looks like your in texas that rod is great for bass fishing. Like the post above I would use it for jigs, worm fishing in the weeds or carolina rigs. You will build a very nice rod from it. Their factory rods are built from the same blanks sell for around $200.

Date: May 05, 2008 11:31PM

Thanks for the replies. It looks as though I ended up with some parts that maybe do not go together. The seat will not go all the way down to the cork. The hole is too small. Also it appears that the hole in the bag pf parts may have lost some of the guides. Guess it was just parts and not a set of parts. Guess I will try to file out the seat. Will that work with out destroying it? Thanks again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 10:13AM by Moderator.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 09:29AM

Ben, these reel seats are meant to fit very tight on the blank, however, I realize you may not have the right seat for the blank you bought. You can force these a bit farther from the point they stop. Push it as far as it will go and then measure the distance to the butt. If the rear grip length is still too long, then you either have to ream it or buy one that fits. These are sold in .5mm increments and the ID is likely stamped on the seat somewhere. You can try to ream it but you'll have to clean up the edges on the exposed hole.

These are relatively inexpensive (~$4 or so) and since you probably will need some guides anyway, you might consider ordering a seat of a larger size. Check one of the sponsors to the left. fishticks, mud hole, Black Dog Tackle are all great places.

Terry

Date: May 06, 2008 09:53PM

Thanks for the help, will try that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 10:14AM by Moderator.

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.186-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 07:28PM

Ben,

Pretty sure what you have there is a blank that Shikari made and sold to at least a few different resellers who named it different things. I believe it is their 6'6" (ie the 78) 3 power blank. It is a nice blank overall in my belief - probably rated at 8-17 or 8-14. A couple places at least call it a "Mag Bass" series. Hence the MB you see in the name. I have and use a couple different blanks from the series although heavier power ratings, and I like them. I believe Pac Bay bought from Shikari or at least used to and rebranded. Overall should make you a nice rod IMHO. good luck on the project.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster