I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Syncork
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:56PM

Anyone have any info on it such as properties & availability?

Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Syncork
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2008 05:24PM

I'm not sure I know what it is. I have seen the corkalon offered by Pacific Bay in the past, that's about it.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 08:42PM

Chuck... I don't know anything about "syncork" but I have recently built some grips using the rolls of cork you can buy at office supply and craft stores. I used a pipe with a sharpened edge to stamp cut the rings and a hole punch to cut the center hole. Build up on a mandrel is the same as if using regular rings, you're just using a lot more of them. I use Titebond III and a foam brush, and a 1/4 inch thick rubberized cork ring on the front and rear of the grip. I've built three and I think my count was 68 rings to get a 6 and 3/4 inch grip. These turn beautifully and look great ... There are none of the usual cork flaws to fill. In terms of weight they're a bit heavier than traditional cork rings, but not disagreeably heavier. Regards, Vance

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 14, 2008 11:20PM

Hey Vance, I do exactly the same thing, only I use cork flooring tiles and the high grade (thicker) bulletin board cork tiles. These come in flat tiles, and I drill my rings out with a hole saw. Shape beautifully, are a bit harder to ream and are heavier, but are really nice, especially with Tru-Oil. The downside is the time to knock up a long grips, scuh as the full wells fly rod grip I did recently. 42 rings for that sucker, another 6 rings for the fighting butt. The bulletin board sheets I currently use are 4 mm thick, and the floor tiles are 6 mm thick. Love the idea for the foam brush to get a really thin layer of epoxy: with so many rings I still get faint glue lines, even with good clamp compression. Tru-Oil also brings the lines out a tad. So far though no-one has complained.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 06:56AM

I never used it or seen it but after googleing for it I have to say it looks very promising its a synthetic man made cork that claims all the properties they even sell it in rings. Its black in color. Very interesting indeed.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:03AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure I know what it is. I have seen the
> corkalon offered by Pacific Bay in the past,
> that's about it.
>
> ...........

From the looks of it you maybe able to get an article out of this stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 07:03AM by Henry Engle.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:16AM

I believe it is EPP foam - expanded polypropylene. It is a very light, very tough material. It is also very soft, so I'm not sure how good it would work for a grip.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 01:16PM

Does anyone know of somewhere to order this stuff?

Posted by: Chuck Mills (70.58.150.---)
Date: April 15, 2008 01:18PM

Google it an you will find a little info on it from a place here in MN.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:21PM

Ted... I've thought about using the thicker cork tiles ( I even have a few set aside to try.) The cork particles in the roll cork are held together with a soft almost rubber-like adhesive. This makes the grips really comfortable. As noted they turn very nicely and finish out beautifully. I personally like the look of traditional solid cork rings, but the durability and clean, consistent look of these grips I think will appeal to a lot of fishermen. Regarding stacking all those rings during build-up, I get myself a nice cup of coffee, put a Segovia CD on, and just do it. The result justifies the effort, I guess... Cheers, Vance

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2008 09:54PM

Henry,

Thanks. So far I'm not at all impressed by its looks or properties, but we'll see.

A local builder brought some by. I won't repeat the words he used to describe how he felt it looked. Of course, there may be better methods for working with it.

Posted by: Keith Terlinden (156.142.118.---)
Date: April 30, 2008 11:11AM

I am one of the licensed users of syncork and have been since January. My rod building is more in the lines of building a tool. I do little to no thread art. I mention that to help you understand my feelings of syncork.

Syncork is a man made product designed and manufactored in the US. The designer is a long time rod builder and owner of Elliott Technology. Syncork is currently made in rings similar to cork up to 2 inches in diameter. The strength of syncork is unlike anything else I have seen in rod building. It needs to be shaped with a rasp wood file and special sand paper. But the main thing is it can be shaped like cork. It is the strongest, most light weight and durable product I have ever used. It does not absorb water and in fact it repels water. It does not look like traditional cork (it is black) and that has been the only negative feedback I have received. There will be more colors offered soon. The cost is the same as real cork and I offer it for the same price as cork on my customs. About 80% of the sticks I have built since January have been built on Syncork and I have not received any negative feedback.

It depends what you are looking for as a builder I think. It is not traditional but if you are looking to build a stick with something that can out perform real cork then Syncork is the answer. If you are interested in it you can shoot me an email and I will try to help you out.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster