I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A.R.E Bamboo blanks
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: March 29, 2008 12:17PM

I was browsing @#$%& the other day and stumbled across some bamboo fly rod blanks for 75 bucks. I was like yeah sure 75 bucks. But they look nice and the guy who is advertising them seems to know what he is talking about. Have any of you guys used them or had any experiences with them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A.R.E Bamboo blanks
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: March 29, 2008 02:06PM

I bought one to see what he is selling..

Bottom line is that they are in ROUGH SHAPE,,,,, Very poor quality. On the up side, you can fish a bamboo fly rod for less money than a decent nickel silver reel seat.

As in most dealings,,,,,,,,,you get what you pay for.

There are makers here in the states that will sell you a nice blank for around $250.00 (and up) and you are getting a bargain at that.

Just my opinion,

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 29, 2008 05:34PM

Sevier has a few bamboo blanks at a good price for a quality blank. Ferrules already on and two tips.

Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.135.80.14.montanasat.net)
Date: March 29, 2008 05:57PM

I bought one also just to check it out. I agree with Fred - you get what you pay for. It is kind of rough and not very good quality but I am going to build it anyway just to get a feel for building on cane. If it works out ok then I will spend the $$ for a good cane blank and go from there.

Posted by: eric zamora (69.106.185.---)
Date: March 30, 2008 01:18AM

to support what fred said, i got a 2/2 (2 piece with extra tip) which was impregnated, ferruled, hollowbuilt AND flamed for $250... from a gentleman in massachusetts who corresponded with me, asking about the type of water, casting style and fish i seek. with further jpegs of my streams exchanged we narrowed down the many tapers available and decided upon one of several which should work for me. during my finishing process, he offered advice when i had questions. as far as i am concerned, it's money well spent and at the same time, i supported a thriving art form and tradition.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: March 30, 2008 07:25PM

thanks for the info guys for 250 thats not too bad to get a unique rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster