I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Wood Butt Caps
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 01:51PM

This is a question for those of you who are making your own wooden butt caps.
When you turn them other than doing an epoxy encapsulation how are you covering the hole in the end?

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Wood Butt Caps
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: March 05, 2008 01:57PM

I make wooden butt caps for most of my cork handles I make. I rough turn the shape I want and have a post on it that will slide up into the blank. The I cut off the butt cap, put that post into my 4-jaw chuck and finish turning the butt cap. It gives a nice finished look to the handle I think. I would think you could do something similar even if you are making a wooden rear grip. Maybe add a thin trim piece between the handle part and the butt cap since the grains may not really match.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2008 02:36PM

You can pop in a rubber or plastic plug. Auto supply companies often have the plastic plugs used to cover the various trim molding openings in auto interiors. These work pretty well. You can form your own from EVA or composite cork. Or you can use furniture end caps of one type or another.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 04:26PM

I have addressed this problem several ways. I have got the best results by cutting off about 3 inches of square turning stock, I then turn it down to about 1.35 inches. (Between centers). I then use a parting tool to turn the butt cap cut off point to about 3/4 of an inch diameter about 3/8 of an inch above my head stock. I proceed to shap my butt capp as desired. usually leaving the butt at about 1.25 inches diameter and the the point of cork take off at one inch diameter. Since I have gone to mostly split grips I now taper the butt capp to fit the winding check or the rod. (Too Many variations to talk about). I then measure the total butt cap length, drill it to about 1/4 of an inch short of the end of the capp. I then glue the capp to the rod leaveing the 3/8 inch. I leave the very end to put in my lathe so I don't scratch the butt cap. I currently have a rod in process that I have glued the butt cap to. I'll email you a picture. A picture is better than a thousand words. I have had problems posting pictures on this site. (and I know it is me-not the site) After I have finished the rod I saw off the turnining end with a flush saw and sand the end and finish with Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil.

Ed Smith

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2008 08:34PM

i get some rubber plugs from bob at custom tackle. i think amtak makes them. they come in 3 sizes. they fit easily and protect the rods and handles well.

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.choiceone.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 08:50PM

An easy way to make wood butt caps is to first drill a hole of the diameter of the butt of your blank in the block of wood. Use the lathe to drill the hole, so you can square off the tip-end of the butt cap to the hole. Drill only to the depth you need, not all the way through the workpiece. Then, place a 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" piece of pine in the lathe/chuck, and turn a short mandrel that is the same diameter of the hole you have drilled. I shoot for a tight fit; pine seems to be soft enough to wedge the piece onto it, yet hard enough to hold well. Wedge the workpiece onto the mandrel, then turn the butt cap. After, just throw the mandrel away. Small chunks of 2X4s work great, and can be found easily.

After the hole is drilled, but before the final turning, a "step" can be turned into the work piece, and trim rings of various materials, Wood, acrylic, cork, eva and such can be slid on and glued to either end to make a butt cap of several different materials. This also allows the main material from which the cap is made to be longer, and have more bonding surface on the blank. The key is the disposable mandrel turned in the chuck, which allows for a butt cap to be turned with a hole that is perfectly square, and exactly the right depth and diameter. And no hole in the end!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2008 08:55PM by Joel Wick.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: March 05, 2008 09:19PM

Thanks for all the info guys.

JP.
That's exactly what I was looking for. A little rubber bumper that protects the butt cap when standing the rod on it's end.

Thanks again for all your input.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 09:39AM

Since I do not have a lath yet I still do as in the Dale Clements book I use a hole saw on the drill press and remove the pilot bit an cut out the round parts for the butt with out the pilot guide hole. I have also turned them over and drilled with a smaller hole saw enough to inlay the state quarters for the grandkid. I done four and three turned out very good but the fourth turned color after a whils all was sealed with flex-coat epoxy. Any solution to this?

Edwin Kime edwinkime@hotmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster