I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thanks Billy. Couple of questions....
Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 09:45AM

Billy it was great meeting you at the show this year. Thanks for convincing me to try out the fish scale wrap and walking me through it with the visual wrap software. After reading your book most things are fairly clear but I still have a few questions I was hoping you could help out with. These are probably pretty dumb but this is my first attempt.

1. Do you have to have the foregrip on the rod before you begin the wrap? Since this is a surf rod and I will be using cork tape I was thinking that I could put the wrap on and then put cork tape on up to the wrap.

2. How do you mark out your intersect points? I tried the china marker and couldn't get the dots exact enough. I then tried thread but when I wrapped over them they moved and I had to keep moving them back. Any other suggestions?

The messurements for the wrap area are Diameter: tip - 69mm, center - 70.5, butt - 72 and the wrap area is 300mm long. For the fishscale pattern that I'm doing I was thinking that I wanted fairly small scales and so I would need to work off of 8 axis.

4. How many wraps of Madera will cover 1mm? I think I've seen someone post that before but couldn't find it. I'm trying to figure out the fade pattern so I am trying to see how many wraps I will get in each box.

5. Anything else that you can think of that I might want to look out for? do the number of axis seem to be too many?

I'm still trying to figure out how to calculate the intersect point measurements and will probably come back to you with some questions. In the book you have the intersect broken down for a 4 axis wrap and I think it is just a matter of continuing the progression to get to 8 so I will see how that works.

Thanks again for the quick lesson, it was great finally putting a face with a name.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thanks Billy. Couple of questions....
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 10:43PM

Burton,

I can't speak to the rest of your questions Billy will have to tackle that. But as for marking your intersect points, you may try a white out pen or a sharp probe to scratch a small dot / mark. Just make sure that you only penetrate the rod finish and don't go into the blank itself.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Billy Vivona (207.10.148.---)
Date: February 26, 2008 08:43AM

Burton, you're killing me, lol. I'm still in the hotel lobby as I type this, I'll answer your Q's when I get back home and settled in.

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 26, 2008 02:20PM

Thanks Bill. I'll try and find a whiteout pen.

Billy, sorry for hitting you with questions so soon. Take some time and get rested from the big week. I'm not in too much of a hurry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster