I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fine grit sanding papers
Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: February 10, 2008 11:59PM

Harbor Freight (at least the one about 40 miles down the road from me) has 1000grit and 1200grit wet-dry paper in packs of five (8-1/2x11) for some ridiculously low price depending on whether it's on special that day. Low price even when it's not.

You can't find this stuff at your normal Lowes, HD, or most of the other similar stores. The only other place I know where you can get it is at the local body shops. Some of them will share - some of them won't.

This is not the same quality as is used in military repair shops, which is to say that the grit is correct but the density and flexibility of the paper is not quite a match. But it's good stuff and has uses throughout our craft.

Also - there are several 3M products made for very fine scratch removal in auto paint. But they can also be used - very sparingly - to remove scratches and blemishes in metal parts on such things as reel-seat hoods, ferrules, etc.

Hope that helps - - -

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fine grit sanding papers
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 12:42AM

Hi Russ.

Woodcraft stores carry paper down to 12000 grit. I put a polished rock look on a piece of deer antler today using the same paper (antler is being used on a flyrod handle).

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 12:55AM

I get my wet/dry fine grit papers from Pep Boys., but it can also be found at Kragen, Napa, and even WallyWorld.

I have to stay away from Harbor Freight........I am worse than a fat kid in a candy store at that place.

And I can say that cause I used to BE that at kid.........and am not in much better shape now...............lol

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 02:37AM

The Harbor Freight stuff is good on metal, but not on wood and especially white or light wood, it will leave a black residue on light woods. I have been there, done that and won't do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 08:28AM

For my wood and cork work, I use "wood" sandpaper down to 150 or so. I usually buy it at Wal-mart. For 220 to 2000 grit, I simply walk a few aisles over to the automotive section of Wal-Mart and buy the auto wed/dry paper. It works great for wood. As Tim mentioned, it's always important to be really careful with blond woods (i.e. maple gives me the biggest fits), as they'll burn easily. As soon as the paper starts heating up at all, get it away from your piece. But, I think this is just a peculiarity of this type of wood, not necessarily an idictment of auto wet/dry paper.

Sometimes, I have trouble finding a specific grit at Wal-Mart (e.g. 600 is really hard to get). So, I just drive a mile to Auto Zone, and buy it there. In the case that I can't find it at Wal-Mart or Auto Zone, I can often find it at the local hardware store.

I've never seen anything finer than 2000 grit at these local stores. I think you'd have to go to Woodcraft to get something finer.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: February 11, 2008 04:48PM

Thanks for the info, because we can't find anything like that at the local WallyWorld. But I have two choices round here - the auto places or Harbor freight. Either one gets me in a lot of trouble.

The folks at Trucker's Toy Store put me onto the pro-series of liquid scratch removers. But then, they used several of my trucks as demos showpieces in their shop and in their print ads, before my wife started calling there to remind me to come home for dinner.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster