I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Effect of lengthening rod handle on power rating...
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 02:11AM

OK, simple question from a conversation with a full time builder who often adds handles to lengthen existing blanks. (i.e. 6 feet blank - he'll lengthen by adding a tube to the butt to make it 6' 6" or more.)

If a 5 feet blank is ideally rated at 1/16 to 1/4" oz lures. What happens when a one foot handle extension is added so that the built rod is actually 6 feet. Is this now still a 1/16 to 1/4 oz lure range? Or how does it shift?

I know this is a very basic question but I've never done handle extensions.

Thank!
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Effect of lengthening rod handle on power rating...
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 02:44AM

Mo do a search and you'll get some reading. Learn how to use the CCS system and you'll get even get more education. As far as this guy adding tubes and handles to lengthen the blank, why not save some time, weight, and money and build on the right blank to start with.
As far as changing the power rating yes it does change it, you would have to do the CCS on the rod after it is lengthened to know what total effect it would have on the blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 02:46AM by Tim Hurst.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2008 08:23AM

You will generally increase the lifting power (assuming your extension is stronger than the butt in this regard) but not necssarily the casting lure weight rating.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 11, 2008 08:49AM

Casting weight remains the same, action becomes a little faster, more "down low" power. I agree Tim that getting the job done on the right blank to begin with would be best, but sometimes such is not the case. I have done a few of these now, extending an UL to give a bit more oomph but still have a light enough tip to flick out a 1/32 oz jig.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 10:53AM

Tim

Often times "the right" blank isn't available and extending is the only option. Common with ultra light rods.

Mo

The numbers are going to show that the rod has more power. However, the tip isn't changing and will still handle the lure weights designed for it. Shoot me an email if you'd like to see some numbers.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster