I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Maderia Thread # 40
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 03:11PM

I'll be the first to admit that some times my light bulb is a little dim but I finally did something to come up to average intelligence. I started using Maderia thread # 40 a few rods back but its hard to pick out colors on a computer screen. So I invested $5.00 in a Maderia Sample Card. This card has all 365 thread colors that are available. So there is no guess work at what color to use to match your rod and guides. Just spread out the sample card and lay the rod on top of it and start picking out colors. So much easier. Wished I would have bought one of these a long time ago. I know that a lot of you that have used Maderia are going DUA , but for those of you that are starting out DON't FIGHT IT !!! Get one and see for yourself. This is all part of sharing so that somebody else doesn't go through the same frustrating experiences I went through trying to pick out colors.
Thanks, Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maderia Thread # 40
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 03:17PM

When ordering color shades, stick within the same color chart. I'm the first to say the Color Chart is ALL OVER THE MAP, but the blues from chart #1 do not match with the blues from chart #6.

Date: February 10, 2008 03:27PM

Thanks Billy. I have just made a note of that on the sample card.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 04:28PM

If you can find a color card for $5 I would suggest purchasing 2 and using the CP of your choice on one as a comparison guide.

The color cards are $15 anywhere local to me and that is just silly.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Craig Sawtelle (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2008 04:49PM

Another good point that Billy made in an earlier post is that the darks go really dark when CP is applied. On my sample card i put down a strip of masking tape, covering half of the samples, and applied CP for a side by side comparison.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 05:39PM

To Derek McMaster: and all others that find the cards to expensive locally.

[]

bottom of the page, you can't go wrong!

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2008 11:34PM

Hi Derek,

If you contact Maderia you can purchase their color card for far less than $15.00. If fact at least one of the sponsers here sell Maderia thread (sorry but I don't remember which one) and you can get a color card from them.

As a matter of fact it's Acid Rod that sells Maderia thread.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 12:16AM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Date: February 10, 2008 11:53PM

Thanks Derek for the idea of putting cp on the sample card. I just finished putting 2 coats of Diamondite CP on all of the samples. Billy V. was right cp really does turn the colors darker ( not that I doubted him ). The darker colors turned almost black and a lot the lighter colors turned to a deep rich color. This will really help in picking out colors.
Thanks

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 11, 2008 09:42AM

"The darker colors turned almost black and a lot the lighter colors turned to a deep rich color"

I would love to know what causes this to happen. Keep this fact in mind when choosing colors for a wrap, one of the more popular colors I LOVE to use is 842 Blue (Chart #1 2/3 of the way down). The problem with this color on a BLack background, is it "melts" into it and kind of disappears into the background.

More freebie tips (lol) - the threads on the sample card are wrapped on a white background. WHen wrapped over a blank, even with CP - the colors WILL be slightly darker. A quick test to confirm - paint white on a scrap blank for 1". Wrap thread over teh white, then over the black blank. CP and finish, and see the difference in shades. IT's slight, but it is there.

Another freebie tip - For those who like using painted blanks, as I do - rather than useing Black for the background, use one fo the darker shares which turrn seemingly black with CP. Since most paint jobs on blanks are dark, the darker colored black thread is a nice compliment when you take it out in the sun. Looks better than using black imo. But it is hard to see teh thread as you lay it down on teh blank, Ive actually used polarized sunglasses to cut the glare to make the thread easier to see as I lay it down on teh blank. Not often, but I have done it. Feel goofy though,lol.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 11, 2008 10:32AM

I wish I didn't rush to take pictures all the time. Tha last tip is waht I did with this wrap, although you cannot tell that the wrap background mmatches the color of the blank pretty closely.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: February 11, 2008 11:04AM

Thanks Billy. You Are The Man.I like the work that you do I just do have the time to do a lot of thread art.
Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster