I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wrap tie off problem
Posted by: Sam Parkinson (192.88.212.---)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:21AM

Every once in a while after i cut my tie off i end up with a piece of thread still sticking up.What am i doing wrong.? Is the razor dull?Am i pulling the thread to tight before cutting it? Maybe i am not over wrapping it enough.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wrap tie off problem
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:24AM

I would suggest buying a good pair of cuticle cutters. Much safer than using a razor blade next to a wrap and nips the thread much closer than is possible with a razor, IMHO.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:35AM

Once the thread has been pulled under the last few wraps, try pulling the thread end, in such a way that it separates those last few wraps (slightly) from the rest of the wraps. Cut the thread as close as you can, without damaging anything. Once you push the gap back together, it should cover the end that you just cut.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:51AM

I do what George said except I place a sharp razor blade into the gap and use it to press the thread to be cut aginst the blank. I then cut the thread by pulling it up against the razor. With the thread actually being cut under the wrap there is no way for it to stick up through.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:59AM

Sam, here is something I have done effectively. Where the tag end comes up through the threads after you have cut it off. If there is a little nub sticking out between the threads, I take a dental pick and gently rake between these two threads . That will make the little nub lay down on the blank, then re-pack to close the gap. Works for me.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 01:00PM

Sam,
I do it slightly differently. I insert my tie off loop pretty early about where the foot of the guide starts. When I insert the tag end of the wrap in the loop, I pull the tie off loop until the wrap thread just enters under the wrap. I then cut off the thread as close as possible to the wrap. When I finish pulling the tie off loop through, the thread is buried under the wrap and there is nothing to cut off. Doing trim wraps this way will work as well, but you need start the tie off loop right after you secure the start of the wrap. Give it a try, you might like this method.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 01:04PM

Here is a different method that has worked. Do everything the same but pull the pull thru loop back snug(not under) last thread. You now have a 3-4" tag of thread that has came from spool. Now cut tag thread leaving very small 1/16" above loop. Place thumb where pull loop has almost dissapeared and pull your loop thread out. The small tag end should be buried and no need to worry about razor. this has worked for me-hope this is a help. Fell free to e-mail if directions aren't clear enough--Bill

Baseball is just a game fishing is life!

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 08, 2008 04:25PM

Sam, your e-mail is hidden. I did a tutorial with pics on how to prevent this. E-mail me for it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster