I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color preserver and black thread
Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 09:50AM

I know I have read this before, but I couldn't find it. My wraps are going to be Gudebrod Goldenrod with black bands and accents. I need the goldenrod to stay close to the spool color, and since I don't care for NCP, I was planning on using CP. But, for the black, it seems that I have read that CP can have less than desirable affects over either the black NCP or regular black. I just can't remember which. I guess my question is, if I am going to use reg. nylon goldenrod with cp, should I use a NCP black or reg. nylon for the trimbands and accents. Thanks guys.

TJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color preserver and black thread
Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:06AM

Tim,

It is said, that you don't have to use CP on black threat. If you use the CP on the Goldenrod, I would go ahead in use it on the black too. IMHO, I would use the regular black thread. NCP thread always seems to lack the luster of regular thread.

Ed Smith

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chi2ca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:11AM

Hey Tim....I would suggest using reg. nylon on the black and then CP a couple coats as if you have a dark colored blank the blank color may
work up thru your goldenrod color. If the black was your only color then I would advise you not to use CP as the brightness seems to be more present. I only use black NCP for color shading with reg. black as it seems to always look milky to me. Might I suggest a experiment of these colors you are using on a piece of scrap blank ?

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 10:13AM

For trim bands you could use either. However all Gudebrod "C" black is NCP so if you want regular black use "A", "B" or "D" . If you have large areas of black and you want it really BLACK, I would not use NCP, it has a slight grayish haze to it that is really noticible when put next to regular black .

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 11:03AM

I agree with Ed's statement. I never have a problem using CP on regular Black.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 12:15PM

Thanks guys. I will most likely use the regular. I know that CP is not needed for reg. black, but since I'll be incorporating it into a wrap where CP is needed, I wanted to make sure that there would be no ill affects from useing the CP on the black. Thanks again.

TJ

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 12:38PM

Hi Tim,

I recently watched Doc Ski's video on weaving. He used black thread as his back ground color. When the weave was completed he laid the cp/cs on heavy. It appeared to dry clear. I am going to ask him at High Point what brand of cp/cs he uses.

I have used Flex Coat cp/cs for years but it will turn dark thread colors milky if too much cp/cs is used and not dry brushed off.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: steve stanfill (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 01:24PM

Tim
You mentioned that you need the goldenrod to stay the same color as it is on the spool. You might want to either underwrap it with metalic silver, or use a chrome automotive tape,under the wrap. IMHO goldenrod on a dark blank will darken even if you use cp.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 01:47PM

All CP is not considered equal - Do not use Flex Coat CP on Black Nylon - It will haze with tiny tiny white highlights - If the black band is wide enough it will be noticed - a color preseerver that does not use a white pigment filler is fine - the Gudebrod CP does not use a titanium dioxide powder and should work fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster