I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color preserver Problem
Posted by: Sam Parkinson (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2008 10:17PM

I just put flex coat color preserver on some guide wraps and after it dryed there are white spots all over the threads(i think the spots are where the preserver was but on a little bit heavier).What happened and can i fix it without re wrapping? I think the problem may have to do with tempeture i am in new england and the room was about 60 degrees.I have never had any problems in the past. Thanks sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color preserver Problem
Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: January 28, 2008 11:49PM

The FC CP coagulated and these are bits of the solids that are usually suspended in the liquid medium. Either it's really old, or has been subjected to some real cold conditions.

I don't know of a way to get it off without messing up the threads but maybe someone else does.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 01:31AM

You can thin FC PC with alcohol you might try damping a brush with alcohol and lightly wipe down the wrap. Then use a dry brush and wipe the specks off. Just a thought never done it before.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 06:56AM

What color thead?

Posted by: Sam Parkinson (---.ae.ge.com)
Date: January 29, 2008 08:27AM

The thread color is black.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2008 09:20AM

unless there are other colors mixed in the black that you want to preserve you could skip the color preserver on black thread. black is BLACK. i have never had a problem with color showing thrue the black thread. even silver ferrules.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 09:31AM

Flexcoat is very specific in their instructions NOT to use THEIR color preserver on black thead. If it is used the white powder included in the product will show up as tiny tiny white spots in the sunlight. It will look like the Milky Way at night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 02:06PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Tim Bloomfield (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 12:35PM

OK, I'm no pro at this, but this may work. Mix your epoxy with some pigment of black testors paint.
I had some problems replacing guides, and due to the finish on the blank, I couldn't get my wraps very close to edges. I was using black wraps, so when I coloured the epoxy, they all came out jet black...looks like they're painted, but good.

This may give you the same effect as trying to add cp to black thread. Others may be able to give you a better perspective on this idea.

Posted by: Sam Parkinson (---.ae.ge.com)
Date: January 29, 2008 02:15PM

Thanks for the repleys guys but i feel it would be best just to rewrap and leave the cp off next time. Sam

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 30, 2008 12:38AM

Alcohol will remove the CP

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster