I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3 foot guides
Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.62.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2008 11:01PM

I am curious if these exist and where to find them if they do. I asked the customer to show me the exact guide he is looking for as from these specifications, I cannot find anything even remotely close. He wants to match two rods to two others previously built and requires guides with the following.

1.triple foot
2. SIC
3. gold

Thanks for you help in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 foot guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 28, 2008 11:17PM

Must be talking of the guides similar to the Fuji RSGs.

Date: January 28, 2008 11:31PM

I suspect he either does not have SiC guides or does not have true 3 footed guides.

As far as I know 3 Foot guides are very limited in what is available.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: January 28, 2008 11:46PM

Are you sure he's not confusing a dbl-ft guide with three frame risers? Has he actually shown you the guides?

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: January 28, 2008 11:49PM

Forgot to mention they are going on Harrington 540 and 542 blanks.
The guides are for an 8.5ft and an 8ft foot tarpon rod.

Russ,
As of yet, no. This is the reason I asked him to show me the guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2008 11:57PM by Sean Cheaney.

Posted by: CHARLES CEPHAS (---.fuse.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 12:17AM

SEAN GO TO THE PHOTO PAGE LOOK IN GUIDE WRAPS SECTION PG. 46 UNDER THE NAME HIRO TANAKA THIS MAYBE THE GUIDE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 06:51AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: January 29, 2008 08:12AM

thoes are going to be exactly what he is looking for..Thank you

Now where can I get them if they are even made anymore?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: January 30, 2008 04:15PM

Those are GRSG's, and I do not think they are made. They are a MAJOR hassle to bend, shape, and taper to lay flat against the blank. Steer him towards GLRSG's (if they exist in Gold). Gold is NOT a SW guide.

IMO (lol), part of our "job" as rodbuilders...is to steer customers away from stuff you dont' want to tangle with, by offereing otehr choices which you can obtain compoenents and easily wrap them. lol.

Date: January 30, 2008 10:36PM

Billy: Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where someone knows what they want, and only wants that thing. You cant please everyone. I attempted to explain the drawbacks of gold in a saltwater environment as well as double foot guides as I personally believe there never is any need for the triple foots. I fish with many people who will fish 80 and 130 pound braid along with a locked down drag and use double foot guides with no problems.

I think I have found the guides are still made in Japan as Matagi's 2007 catalog still lists both the GRSGs and the GLRSGs. I am yet to see them in any catalog within the united states however. They are roughly $12-15/guide converted from Yen to $. I am waiting on an email reply from them and I will go from there. He has said that he may end up stripping one of the older rods and reusing the guides if they are not available.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 07:45AM

Sean while you're flipping through Matagi's site, you'll notice several other guide styles not available in the US. I've ordered from Mamoru a couple of times, as well as a few other Japan shops forJapan reels & such. If you're gonna order from there, might as well make it "worthwhile".

The IG coating offered on several Japan guides is much more durable in the SW. Unfortunately for this guy, not in either one of those frame styles. 130# & locked drag = ride 'em cowboy!!.

Date: February 02, 2008 12:03AM

Well now that I have searched around on Fuji tackle's website and verified they are still listed in the 2008 catalog, it seems that they may be available only by special order from Japan. I would prefer to deal with a company based in the United States so I don't have to try and figure out how to order these things from Japan. So far it seems harder than finding your way through Fuji's site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster