I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TN Handles dominate ice rods -why not open water rods?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 26, 2008 09:13PM

We have had a ton of ice fishing derbys here in North WI today. I got to see a lot of gear on it's way to the ice, and it hit me - almost all ice rods have TN handles, and most I saw had reels taped on, not even using rings.

Come spring these guys won't touch open water rods with TN handles. Frustrating!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TN Handles dominate ice rods -why not open water rods?
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 04:55AM

I find that most my customers in the graphite rod end,,, prefer the TN. Handle... they tell me that they like to tape the reel on and they say that they are more sensitive. Each their own. (particularly the perch fishermen,,, and we are in SE Wi.)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 07:04AM

The only way a rod has left my shop in years has been with a Tenn handle on it. All we have is open water.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 09:35AM

Thats all I use on my casting rod and hand held rods, in the past all cork, but now I am using graphite tubes on my new builds. And I think I'm going to really like them. I have a few Fuji plate reel seats to try also.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: January 27, 2008 10:26AM

I love TN handles. I hate graphite slip rings. I hate aluminum slip rings. I don't mind plate seats, but they are a bit heavy for light rods. I think the design of the old sliding seat that Rick's Rods sells has merit, but they are a bit light in their construction and a little spendy. On my own rods I use electrical tape, but have trouble making a rod for someone else and handing them a roll of 3M tape with their new rod. Some bright mind some where has to be able to come up with a better way.

Date: January 27, 2008 11:39AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
If you don't have a copy you may want to order one.

I'm not claiming to be a bright mind, but this is in my oppinion a better way

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2008 11:41AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 27, 2008 12:08PM

Hey Guys - thanks for the feedback. If it was up to me, I would ONLY build spinning rods with TN handles - love them!. It the general fishing public that seems to be a hard sell. Taping the reel on looks fine and feels great, I have always considered it the mark of a serious angler. Most guys won't go for the wrapping a reel on with thread because they wan't to be able to change reels themself.

I guess what I am asking is - has anyone found a good way to educate people on the benefits of this great, classic style?

Thanks,
Marc

Date: January 27, 2008 12:59PM

Marc.
For the most part I have been able to educate them to the benefits of having the reel wrapped on.
Most times all it takes is some explaining as to why the benefits outweigh the negatives (not being able to remove it without some effort).

Then let them use it for a couple of hours. Actually most of the people that I build one for have either fished with me and used mine, or come to me because of seeing, handling or using some one else’s.

But like you alluded to earlier it could be the market I am in. There are many fishermen in this area that don't bat an eye at purchasing top notch equipment, if it will give them the edge over their competition

I may be mistaken, but I think I had read in a post some time back that there are more Custom Builders in NC per capital then most other places, This may also be due to the market in this state

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster