I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fiberglass fibers?
Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: January 26, 2008 10:50PM

My dad recently broke the 7' spinning rod I built for him and sent the remains to me to see if I could perform a resurrection. I consulted Skip Morris' book "The Custom Graphite Fly Rod", and it said that a cleanly broken (i.e. not splintered) blank--which this one is--can be "spliced" back together using a section of scrap blank inserted into the two broken ends of the broken blank. He says to wrap the splice with fiberglass fibers and cover with epoxy.
This may be a dumb question, but where can I get some fiberglass fibers? What I mean is, are they available commercially, or do I have to find something made of fiberglass that's been broken and strip some off myself? Are there different types or grades of fiberglass with different thicknesses, or is it all the same?
Also, I was wondering if any other material could be substituted for the fiberglass.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fiberglass fibers?
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2008 10:56PM

Bryon,read this and follow the directions to a tee.Ralph is the man when it comes to this[www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2008 10:56PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Adam Brown (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: January 26, 2008 11:40PM

Taxidermy supply houses often carry fiberglass materials for mold making, if you want to stick to your original plan.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2008 11:58PM

Bryon;
you can get fiberglass cloth at most auto parts stores.
But I think you would be much better off following Fred's advice and link

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: January 27, 2008 03:31AM

Do a search for Ralph OQuinn's artical on broken rod repair. I believe Rodmaker had a artical on how Ralph does these types of repairs. Raph is the name when it come to repairing rods, He wrote the book
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2008 07:30AM

Ralph is the man! I have followed his advice for many years and he knows of what he writes.

You can buy fiberglass thread in a sewing center. I believe that it's made to sew high wear items where rot/strain would be a problem.

Ralph O'Quinn also does an thing on making ferrules. I don't know where the rod broke, but in EXTREME cases, I have made a ferrule at the point of the break. There's a thin line between making a splice and a ferrule anyhow.

Lots of luck with your repair. C2

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 12:14PM

i think what you need is fiberglass rope. on the west coast it was often available in boat repair shops or surfboard making suppliers. not sure where you would get it today but if you can find it you just cut it and untwist it. the fibers will be whatever length yyou want to make them.

Posted by: steve stanfill (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2008 04:40PM

First thing that crosses my mind is, unraveling a strand of fiberglass, from the fiberglass drywall tape that rod builders use to make arbors with. Dont know if that fits into your plans, but might be an option.
Steve
Fish till you drop

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 11:28PM

Bryon,

By using fiberglass fibers, and applying epoxy over, you are just re-creating a rough type of fiberglass tube or sleeve; which is what using a piece of fiberglass rod is, but I think the rod piece would be much, much better. I have repaired a bunch of rods the way Ralph teaches, and so far, I have not had a failure.

I personaly recommend Ralphs method.

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster