I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle?
Posted by: Jack Goodwin (---.a66-102-146.caltel.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 01:28AM

Hi all,
I have been hanging around for awhile but have only built a couple of rods. I have a Rainshadow isb780 and want to build a spinning rod. It will be used for bass and mostly from a Kayak.I would like some advice on a handle. I was thinking about a tennesse handle but not sure if I would like it or not.
Thanks for any advice you can give me on this rod.
Jack

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle?
Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2008 08:19AM

Jack
A kayak rod is a specialty in and of itself. You need to keep the handle as short as is comfortable with the reel seat close to the end. It seems awkward but if it's to long then the butt end catches on everything due to your seated position, Especially if your in a sit-in-kayak with a cockpit. The best thing is to sit your boat and measure out where you want the reel seat to go. Make the rod as light as possible since most of the time you will be holding it with one hand with the paddle in the other. I would suggest a split grip. Or no cork at all and goes with epoxy ramps. The less you have in the handle area the better.

Building a rod for fishing from a kayak is the whole reason I started building my own rods. At the time no production companies even made an attempt to cater to the market or make a rod that fit the bill. Recently some companies have come out with kayak specific models but they still don't have it completely right.

good luck
matt

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 10:53AM

if you will be using it in a rod holder as some of the kayakers at the coast do, then another alternative is the heat shrink materials. i have found they hold up well(better than cork tape) in rodholder use. it is very easy to apply and if you dont like it you just cut it off. i like it and use it on most of my personal rods that spend time in a rod holder. at least this gives you an alternative to think about.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 11:34AM

This should be an ideal application for a Tn handle using the new foam core carbon skinned grips.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 12:16PM

I used a 9inch tennesse with an ice rod clamp down seat. If you have never seen the clamp down type reel seat, let me know and I can send a pic.

Vern Metcalf Jr

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 01:23PM

Jack, where are you located? maybe somebody could get your hands around a TN handle before you build.

I've built a few for kayak and small craft fishing for bass for personal use and friends. I find that ~7" from the butt to the back of the TN handle with a split grip is what works. the handle/grip is generally about 4" long, making sure that the reel foot fits completly in the flat partof the handle. I use smaller reels with braid generally so you may need to go a bit longer.

I use rodwrap to secure the reel and add a little bulk to the handle. a handle that is too thin is very uncomfortable to me. I've started with cork rings as large as 2" on some.

Posted by: Jack Goodwin (---.a66-102-146.caltel.com)
Date: January 05, 2008 04:17PM

Thanks everyone,
If any of you want to share pics that would be great.Lots of good ideas. I have some thinking to do, HA HA .
Thanks again.
Jack

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2008 05:03PM

Vern, could U please post or send me a pic of the Ice Rod Clamp Down Seat Thanks! P/S my TN handles are 1'1/8 I love the size and fit with my hand I just need to find something that looks good on a custom built rod? Reel seat that is. Our Should I use RodWrap? Will it hold a reel? Thanks Jay jaydubay@msn.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster