I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1 piece fly blank suggestions
Posted by: Brian Peck (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 11:33AM

Looking to build a 1 piece fly rod for light saltwater use. Would like something around an 8 weight with a length between 8 and 9 feet. Having a tough time locating such a beast. Anyone know of any spinning blanks that would work for this purpose? Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1 piece fly blank suggestions
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 11:56AM

Steffen Brothers uses spigot ferrules. So ... they cut LONG blanks into the sections they want. Contact them regarding purchasing a blank BEFORE it is cut and ferruled. However, get ready for some serious wakeup on the freight charges and good luck transporting it in one-piece for very long.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 12:23PM

Put Marc Forrest in the search engine as an author for some suggestions possibly. Recent post about this.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 12:51PM

Brian,

Look for a spinnng rod in the length you want rated for around 1/2 ounce. That should load well with an 8 weight line.

You'll probably have to look at the salmon/steelhead blanks.

One piece may be difficult to find in such a long blank, so your choices may be limited. Maybe buy a two piece and epoxy it together?

You know what you want, but I'm curious why you'd want such a long one piece rod?

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 02:26PM

mark steffen does not have an 8 wt in his lineup. he would have to design something and shipping would be a real pain.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 03:35PM

Since when? He used to offer both 7-8wt and 8-9 wt. I am VERY aware that shipping would be a pain ... check my original post.

LARRY PIRRONE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mark steffen does not have an 8 wt in his lineup.
> he would have to design something and shipping
> would be a real pain.

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 03:54PM

Check Mike McFarland, too.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 03:56PM

Another option would be looking at the 8 ft Rainshadow popping rod blanks. Rainshadow could help you decide which one would work as an 8 wt.

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 04:16PM

Lamiglas steelhead blanks

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2008 10:00PM

hmmm, jim. did you just flame me? i guess when i think of mark i think in terms of his glass lineup. i forgot all about his graphite. that certainly may be an option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2008 10:07PM by LARRY PIRRONE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster