I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

poured my first grip foam
Posted by: Billy Broderick (208.66.198.---)
Date: December 20, 2007 09:07AM

I poured my first grips last night and had a great result. I poured 6 and 8 # and it went great. The only thing i learned is its expanding rate is just rediculous. Other then that the articles are spot on as far as how toos and use. It's really fun. Next is turning will keep you informed here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: poured my first grip foam
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2007 09:13AM

Glad it worked out for you. It's pretty easy to do and good results can be had the first time out.

The article does mention the tremendous expansion rate - see page 16 under Measuring and Mixing where it says "...the stuff expands tremendously. Just 2 ounces of each part will result in a 1-1/2 inch round core nearly 3 feet long!"

Just a little goes a long, long way. If you can prepare a couple or three "molds" and quickly pour all of them with one batch, so much the better.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 20, 2007 09:27AM

Chef Billy did you add diced pimento and bell pepper for color and garlic for the aromatic enhancement to the core of the grips? There are garlic scented bass bait attractants so adding it to the rod will assure that your hand odor does not spook any fishys! You could also add a little Parma Ham and Cantelope in case the fisherman gets hungry! There will be no end to this gig on the grips any time soon!

Hope you can cook for family this weekend and leave the "gurmets" to their own wine selection!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 20, 2007 02:21PM

Tom,

I'm thinking of using this for Pistol Grips, as the price of these has gone through the roof. I just bought 3 and paid almost $10 per grip. what would I use to make the mold out of. I know that the Myth Buster guy's use some type of sylicone product to make the molds for their "Body's / Parts" but I have no idea where I would find such a thing. Any info welcome!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 20, 2007 03:17PM

[www.delviesplastics.com]

If this is not enough find the Halliburton office near you and tell them you want a tank truck full of LA2! It will be there in a couple of hours. If you thought the pistol grip was expensive wait until you see the bill for the latex cement additive!

Gon Fishn

Date: December 21, 2007 12:54AM

Bill,

Thanks for the idea!! I have a friend I used to bowl with that is in management at the local Haliburton office. May have to contact him for a sample. I was looking at Mike Harris's post on the pic page, and thought maybe that is what I needed to make. Then I thought about how they make molds of actors heads to make masks for them and wondered if that would work too.

Tom,

Instead of a drill rod, wouldn't there be a way to use the rod blank itself since the foam adhere's so well?

Bill in WV

Date: December 21, 2007 09:40AM

If you feel confident enough to mold the core right on the rod, go ahead. But if you foul up that core and need to remove it... good luck.

Date: December 21, 2007 02:16PM

Tom,

Advice well given and well taken, thanks.

Bill in WV

Date: December 21, 2007 06:33PM

I shouldn't worry you like that, after giving it more thought, if you did foul it up you could simply turn it off the rod blank, or at least down very close to the rod blank and then mold another one right on top of that one. The stuff is tough, but turns easily. I should have mentioned that.

Date: December 21, 2007 07:14PM

Tom,

Again, advice well given and taken!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 10:17AM

Hello,

I figure out you talk about an article in Rod Maker mag.. wich I can't read here in France :(

I wonder what raw material you use to pour EVA grips.

Thanks,
Pierrot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2007 10:18AM by Pierre Lavignotte.

Date: December 22, 2007 05:43PM

Two part liquid urethane.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster