I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Carbon Fiber Grip Core Material
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-197-111.myvzw.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 10:24AM

Just to let you guys know, we are now stocking the 1.5" x 12" blocks of Urethane foam core material mentioned in the article on carbon fiber grips I recently wrote for RodMaker. Normally foam like this is only available in large sheets making it quite cost prohibitive. This rigid foam in 4lb and 6lb density is fantastic for use a s a core material under carbon, or as a platform for flocking, grip tape etc....It's much cheaper than even the worst grade of cork, and machines/shapes like a dream. Any of the distributors listed on our website have access to this material.

Hope you guys enjoyed the article....have a Merry Christmas!

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing
www.lamarfishing.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 10:29AM by Andy Dear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Fiber Grip Core Material
Posted by: Steven Libby (20.132.69.---)
Date: December 19, 2007 12:06PM

I only read the article only quickly, and will have to read it again, but was'nt the recommendation for 8lb?

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-197-111.myvzw.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 12:19PM

In my article I reccomend using 4lb or 6lb urethane foam in pre-cut blocks. Tom may be using something else for that pour foam he is using.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2007 12:26PM

I use the 8lb on the pour-your-own version. The 6lb in solid blocks should be nearly as hard and as the article mentioned, 4lb will work in all but the heaviest duty applications.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 12:31PM

does this product have predrilled hole in the center?

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 12:37PM

Umm your dealers are not listed on your website.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 12:40PM

Now wait a minute guys......are we talking about the SAME FOAM here? Is the pre-made a different type than the liquid? We have recomendations all over the place from not using 4lb to using 4lb is fine. One says 8lb is the only way to go and the other is selling 4 and 6lb in the block form for grips.

I think a lot of us are confused.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 12:43PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Date: December 19, 2007 12:48PM

No need to be, it was all covered in the article. What Andy is selling began life as a two part liquid. He's just supplying it in cured form for those that don't want to pour their own. Andy's article concerned carbon skinned grips and for that purpose you could easily use the 4lb or 6lb without denting or chipping problems due to the skin providing the surface hardness.

My article covered pouring your own urethane grip cores. As mentioned in my article, you can paint, flock, skin or put any number of coverings or coatings on them. And for that reason, because you may be using something other than a hard composite skin over it, I recommended the 8lb material for the additional hardness that you'd need if you weren't using such a "skin."

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 12:51PM

So, carbon over the foam = use 4-6lb

Anything you want over the foam = use 8lb

Correct? and is Andy selling the 8lb version?

DR

Date: December 19, 2007 12:57PM

I don't think Andy has the 8lb but I suppose if sufficient demand was there he could obtain it. I know that one of things he was working towards was a very, very lightweight grip, so the 4lb and 6lb foams will be lighter by a bit, if that's what you're after and plan to use the composite skins. The 6lb could easily be the best all around stuff to use but I have not seen the 6lb version in liquid form. Thus I had to make the jump from 4 to 8.

Once you play with it a bit you can decide what you think will work best for your application. In nearly all applications I believe the 2lb is just too easily deformed. 4lb is minimum for skinned grips and the 6lb and 8lb can be skinned or flocked, or... whatever. The less surface protection you add the higher density foam you want to use.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: December 19, 2007 01:28PM

How would rattan work over a foam core. Could I still use Titebond III as my adhesive or would I need to switch. 6 lbs. foam?

Thanks

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 01:47PM

Jim,

Rattan over it was my first thought. Looking forward to answers!! Great minds think alike LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 02:06PM

The distributors in the US are as follows:

Anglers Workshop
Bingham Enterprises
FishSticks4U

The dealer in NY for Lamar Products is Donart.

Thank you and may you have a Merry Christmas!
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises

Date: December 19, 2007 02:23PM

Rattan is hard so you could use a lower density foam.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 02:43PM

What is Rattan?

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: December 19, 2007 02:47PM

Rattan is a bamboo-like material that comes in long strips.
It is wrapped around a sub-strate handle to form a grip that is, for lack of a better word, corrugated.
It also looks and feels pretty cool!

Here is a pic from the photo board:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Walt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 02:48PM by Walt Natzke.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 03:22PM

So here is a loaded question.
With the difference between 4-6-8 pound form being density and hardness.
Will the heavier denser foams be more sensitive or able to better carry vibrations from blank through handle?

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---.hrbgpa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 08:18PM

Is this foam the same foam that is used for insulation that you can buy in sheets at Home Depoy?It is pink and closed cell. I use it to make duck decoys and then burlap them using tile mastic. Just curious because I have alot of pieces of that just laying around looking for something to use it for.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 09:14PM

Custom Tackle in TN has Andy's products as well.

Date: December 19, 2007 09:58PM

Tim.

I don't think it's the same type foam, but you can certainly try what you have and see if it works.

Steve,

I don't have the elasticity factors on the urethane foam in front of me. All the densities are similar in rigidity so the lightest of them should be best for sensitivity. I would still shy away from the 2lb stuff because it's a little "rough" to work with. I settled on the 8lb density as it gave me the best combination of all the properties I desired for what I was doing.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster