I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom K--forum organization
Posted by: Tom Juster (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2007 05:04PM

I'm sure this topic has been raised (and answered) before, but a quick search couldn't find an answer. So Tom, I apologize in advance if I'm wasting your time.

Is there a way to re-organize the forum so that they are sorted by date/time of most recent reply, not date/time at which the thread was started? I follow several other forums that are organized in this way, and it ensures popular threads always remain near the top of the list, on the first page, regardless of how many newer threads have been started afterward.

Or maybe give us an option of how we want the forum displayed? (or maybe such a choice exists, and I just haven't found it yet . . . lol)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom K--forum organization
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2007 05:13PM

Because of the high amount of traffic we get here and how some threads continue getting replies for days and days, if not weeks and weeks, it would mean that many new posts get kicked out of sight almost before anyone would ever see them. The current format seems to work best here, although I'm sure it doesn't please everyone. Still, it's the best way I've found to do it.

You can subscribe to threads so that any replies will be emailed to you (I think). That way you won't miss anything.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:05PM

Tom,

Yes you can, I've done that before on threads that I've wanted to follow.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:39PM

Yep,
See "Follow This Thread" button on the bottom of any post. Later one can click on the link in the email one
has received to stop following the thread and receiving any more emails OR you can go to "My Control Panel"
and see all the threads you are following and select ones you would rather not any longer.

This is also possible for getting email updates if someone posts a photo in the category or category's one is following.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 02:29AM

The 'follow this thread' works for anyone NOT on AOL.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.dnr.state.md.us)
Date: December 13, 2007 08:56AM

I believe it would greatly enhance the sight if there were an "active topics" option. This would bring to the top those topics that had the most replies over the last 7 days (which tend to be the most interesting topics). Once a thread drops below the first page, it pretty much dies no matter how interesting it might have been.

Not intended as a criticism- the site is fine as is- just a suggestion.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2007 09:34AM

I appreciate all the suggestions. Unfortunately there is no single format that will please everyone. Many topics continue getting replies for weeks after they fall off the first page - note to topic on "cork is obsolete" which is still getting replies and views even though it's gone 3 or 4 pages deep. Frankly, I thought it got it's due and it's time was past and was glad to see it move on. If it hadn't, we'd still be seeing front and center on this page. The topic will no doubt come up again in due course, but I really don't like seeing an old topic jump back onto the front page just because somebody want to add, "I agree" or start the conversation all over again.

If we only received very limited traffic then having topics jump back to the top when replied to might be the better format. With all the traffic we get, however, I'm afraid we'd get stuck on one or two or three busy topics for weeks on end and the rest would get pushed back nearly as soon as they first appeared.

Not saying this is the best for everyone, but it's the best I can do with this software, the amount of traffic we get and the number of users we have, for the time being.

You do have the option of viewing in either single file or tree views, the former allows you to see about 4 times as many topics on the front page as the latter, but you don't get the drop down view of each individual reply.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster