I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Need larger pieces of stabilized wood???
Posted by: Steven Kincaid (---.apria.com)
Date: December 12, 2007 09:42AM

I had a GREAT conversation with Mike Barkley regarding the need for larger pieces of stabilized wood for wood grips, butt caps, trim rings, etc. Mike suggested I post this question on the forum and get feedback from the field. Mike feels stabilized wood sized about 1 1/4" square by 6" long would be a good starting point. QUESTION: What sizes of stabilized wood and types of different woods for these applications are needed?? Most of the woods we carry we can cut and stabilize in larger sizes. A few ideas from Mike were: Big Leaf Maple Burl, Black Ash Burl, Walnut Burl, etc. Your thoughts, please. We'll see what we can do. THANKS!!

Steve Kincaid
reelseatblanks.com

Steve Kincaid

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need larger pieces of stabilized wood???
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:04AM

Most of the pen turning blanks are only about 5/8 to 3/4 inch square. Usually not enough unless you're working with the very smallest reel seats. Standard 1 inch turning squares would be great, although even then you'd be limited to reel seat inserts. With 1-1/4 inch squares you'd pretty much have covered hosels, butt caps, winding checks, etc. for all rod sizes. I think Mike is on the money there.

Any stabilized exotic wood would be good because so many builders find them such a bear to finish by top coating due to the high resin content. Give them something that they can just turn, polish and go and you've got a winner. Rosewood, Cocobolo, Kingwood, etc.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:12AM

Like we talked about, I think any of the exotic burls, spalted woods, etc would go over pretty well as long as they are affordable. As more builders are using wood lathes, the lack of availability of stabilized woods in usable sizes is really apparent. Can't wait to try some of your stuff!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:22AM

Dyed box elder burl and dyed maple burl are my favorite stabilized woods to use. I've made several complete split grip handles and by far the dyed woods are my favorites. When making a grip and not a reel seat, a piece 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 6 is my preferred size. Most standard sized casting reel seats are just over 1" in diameter and with an inch and a half piece gives you a little more room to turn your grip round then sand to final size. I have a few pics in my album of some split grip handles that was made with dyed box elder burl.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2007 11:31AM by Lance Dupre.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:26AM

cherry burl for me. also burl redwood.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:31AM

Yep - any burl. In particular, boxelder burl, buckeye burl, maple, black ash, etc. Also spalted maple, etc. would be sweet. If you can produce it, we will buy it :-) Boxelder burl in particular can be very beautifull. What about dyed, stabilized fiddleback maple? :-)

Date: December 12, 2007 10:44AM

Rick: We've got some 8/4 (2" thick) Fiddleback Maple that is drop dead GORGEOUS. What color (colors) would be best in your opinion?? We can do the same with our Big Leaf Maple Burl. We don't have a reliable supplier for Boxelder Burl at this point. Thanks!!
Steve Kincaid

Steve Kincaid

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:51AM

I like blue, black, red, hey, whatever! Just not pink or purple - although I bet there would be a market for that as well :-)

Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.10.---)
Date: December 12, 2007 12:19PM

Hi, I would like to find some large pieces like 12" X 1 1/2" square, stabilized boxelder burl. That would be great. The 12" length would be so all the handle parts would match up nicely. I have noticed how hard stabilized wood is to find in any usable size for rod handles so I have been reading and buying some things to try and do it myself. I do not think my finished wood will be stabilized in the same manner as the professionals, mainly because I can not purchase the Resinol 90C resin that it takes to do so. I am working on my own version of that product just for the fun of experimenting. My vacuum / pressure chamber can still be used for casting epoxy resins and mold making, that way my experiments will not be a complete waste of time. It would be great if larger sizes where more available at a somewhat affordable price. Fun to experiment at any rate. Have a great day, Rich.

Date: December 12, 2007 01:12PM

Rich: Stabilized clear or dyed and stabilized in colors? Thanks!
Steve

Steve Kincaid

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 01:13PM

This is very welcome news. I second Rich Gassman's suggestion for long 12" x 1 1/2" square blanks. The matching grain is a great finishing touch.
Any highly figured exotic burls will be most welcome. My favorites are Spalted Maple, Birdseye Maple and Amboyna. But any pretty stabilized wood will be welcomed in the larger size. Wood adds so much to a custom rod. Foam arbors permit us to keep the weight competitive with cork. Even stabilized regular grain wood in this size will be of great interest, especially if the price is right.
Dave

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 01:19PM

I would have to echo Rich G's sentiment; 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" by 12" up to 18" long. Matching grain can be a problem, if you take it out of one piece of wood it elliminates that problem. The woods I'd like to see would be Spalted Maple and Figured Walnut. I need to find some Dyed Blue (the Texas flag blue) and Red Maple for a project that I'm working on now. I have a source currently (I was just going to call them when I read this post), but would like to find a less expensive source. Steve I'll try to call you this afternoon. Mark B

Date: December 12, 2007 02:03PM

Hi Steven, I am not sure what colors I would like with which woods. I have not turned any stabilized woods yet. What I want to try to do is turn the wood to pretty close to the shape I want. That way I can have the wood stabilized or try it myself. I think it would use less resin and cost less that way. I am really new to playing with the stabilization process but looking forward to experimenting with different acrylics and things. I have three different type acrylics liquefied and ready to try as soon as my parts show up to finish my experimentation chamber. I think trying to do this process is going to be pretty fun, since I am not counting on it that it will work.

Date: December 12, 2007 02:15PM

Rich: Be sure to turn your stock a little over sized before stabilizing. Highly figured woods and burls have a tendancey to warp slightly during the stabilization and curing process. We've had a few sticks come back from stabilizing that looked they were trying to crawl out the door!! Have fun, let us know how your experiments work out!
Steve

Date: December 12, 2007 03:39PM

Hi Steven, Thank you for your advice. I just went and answered the door to find the UPS truck driving away. He left a large piece of Amboyna Burl I ordered from @#$%&. Wow, nice grain. It seems like pretty dense wood. Amboyna burl may be my first try at stabilizing. I will post what happens with my attempts with stabilizing. Have to go, have a little wood to turn. Have a great day, Rich.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2007 03:45PM by Rich Gassman.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 06:08PM

I have to vote the same as the others--12" X 1.5" X 1.5". That allows for consistent grain, a 4" piece for the insert, then an 8" piece for the grip. (Granted, most folks don't turn an 8" fly grip, but it's nice to have a little extra for a fighting butt, or winding check.)

I'm interested in these stabilized woods: cherry burl, maple burl, amboyna burl, redwood burl, buckeye burl and black ash burl. For non-stabilized woods, I'm interested in all the rosewoods, osage orange, tiger maple, bubinga, and ebony.

Date: December 12, 2007 07:35PM

It seems there would be a fairly large demand for larger stabilized wood blanks, at least for rod building anyway. The reason I have never tried it is because all that I can usually find is for pen blanks, bottle stoppers or duck calls. I do have a professionally stabilized unmatched set of stabilized wood on its way. I want to see how it machines, turnes, buffs. Have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Leo Futrell (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:28PM

In the past, I purchased my wood stabilized and labeled from Andy Dear of Lamar Manufacturing, but he doesn't carry this product any longer. Here is my present method in obtaining the stabilized wood I use. I mainly build rods (casting,spinning, and fly) for fresh water fishing (usually for bass). I obtain the wood from www.cuecomponents.com--you can get the sizes that are mentioned above and larger if needed. Once I received the wood, I send it off to be stabilized (www.stabiizedwood.com). Please don't wipe out the supply of wood --I may still need to order some more.

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:56PM

Steve, after ordering several of your reel seat stabilizing woods I would concur on the sizes suggested. I have a favorite if you could obtain it and that is california buckeye.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2007 12:51AM

Due to the photo postings of Stan Grace and others, I'm stuck on Juniper. Beatiful wood. Although plentiful on the left coast, I've had real problems finding anyone willing to ship to the east. If you had that and also Mesquite, I'd definately be interested.

Bill in WV

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster