I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best adhesive for gluing stabilized wood
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 08:33AM

I purchased several beautiful Bellinger ULSB Deluxe seats recently and had them shipped to me by mail.Unfortunately the seller(it was a private deal) sent them in a large but thin cardboard envelope with little padding inside to protect them and when the package arrived,it was literally torn in half,and one of the nicer seat inserts was broken in half right where the swelled butt starts.

The insert is amboyna burl and being from Bellinger I believe that it is stabilized wood(although I'm not 100% sure of that).Fortunately the break was a perfectly clean one,and combined with the swirling pattern of the wood,when the 2 halves are clamped tightly together the crack is virtually invisible.

I would really like to salvage this insert if possible and was wondering what glue or epoxy would provide the strongest bond possible in this case?

Would Rod Bond be the way to go,or would a wood glue like Titebond III or Gorilla Glue be better?

I plan on using the seat on a blank that is very close to the inside diameter of the seat so as to avoid needing arbors and to provide optimum support for it throughout it's length.I figured if I ream each half of the insert to fit the blank properly before gluing it up,there will be less chance of breaking the bond of the insert itself when installing it.

Any advice on the strength of glues and epoxies for something like this would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best adhesive for gluing stabilized wood
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 08:46AM

Tony, I have never used stabilized wood, but I have epoxied different materials together that create a similar problem. I'm sure that you could use epoxy to put it back together; I use 30 minute epoxy for adhering aluminum to wood. I would think that rod bond would be ideal if you have the time to wait for it to cure. You should not have any problems after the seat is bonded to the blank, the blank will help support it and you should not have to worry about it breaking again.

Posted by: James Smith (134.179.104.---)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:13AM

Builders of tradtional style bows use Titebond for glueing laminations together, and other wood to wood applications. Might be a better choice than two part epoxy for your application.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:26AM

I would use anything but a Gorilla typa PVA glue. A recent test in a popular woodworking magazine showed that the PVA glues are actually not as strong as a good two part epoxy or wood glue. Titebond III is awesome stuff.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 11:12AM

Any of the epoxies will work great. Rod Bond is good but stays pliable. Any of the Titebond glues are good but they have high temp. tolerance, starts to become soft at 150 degrees. Titebond III is water proof.
Talk with any of your wood working stores or friends and show or tell them what your doing, they can suggest some other options also.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 02:26PM

Quite frankly, I would use CA(superglue) to repair the break. When putting the reel seat on the rod, I would ensure that I had plenty of rodbond between the seat and the rod where the break is. The break line just has to be held together by the CA. The seat itself will be very well adhered to the blank once you use the rodbond and that should have sufficient strength to keep it from breaking again.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 13, 2007 05:36PM

CA glue makes the best repair for your situation. It bonds well, quickly, and leaves no glue line.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 14, 2007 02:00AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone.Looks like a lot of differing opinions though,LOL.

I have access to Rod Bond and Titebond III already but would have to order in CA glue.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 15, 2007 11:04AM

Don't order CA....just go to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, even CVS carries it. I prefer the "Duro" brand of superglue. Its water thin and works amazingly well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster