I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Painting Blanks
Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 06, 2007 12:35AM

I have used the Tamiya AS (Aircraft Spray) series with excellent results.
The paints are extremely high quality and flow very well.

Walt

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: December 07, 2007 06:13AM

I am sure this question came up in a thread not so long ago.
So please excuse me if I am repeating myself.

Spray can, single pack epoxy for metal .
It takes a while to tack off and dry, plus it is good if you can leave it a week or so to really harden off.

You can build sraight over this paint once it is hard and no need to overcoat it with epoxy or any other rod finish.

Here in Aus, I use , WATTYL . KILL RUST, EPOXY GLOSS ENAMEL.

If this is available in USA I recommend it for those one off jobs. I also use it a lot for restorations and rebuilds. If you need a second application, scotch brite the blank at high speed with metho for lubricant.

I have just done 5 new blanks for one can.

I hope this helps

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Harold Krause (199.67.138.---)
Date: December 07, 2007 11:20AM

Yes Paul, it does help. Thanks. And thank you everyone for your input. I have the rod torn down and ready for paint (this weekend hopefully). So far so good. Kido is quite excited.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 08, 2007 02:04AM

Harold,
The best results I have had are with the appliance epoxy paints in the spray cans. Not many colors to choose from! I rig a motor and chuck with an eyelet in the center of the chuck and a skateboard bearing in a block of wood with a 5/16" bolt center drilled as well as a hole through the side entering the center drilled hole. The block of wood is anchored slightly over the distance of the blank from the chuck. I feed floral wire through the blank wrapping up the chuck end on the eyelet first then send the wire through the center drilled bolt hole and out the side, give it some tension and then wrap it where it enters the bolts hole. the blank will be suspended throughout and can be painted completey from end to end with very little worry of drips or runs. This is all rigged inside a long cardboard box and done outdoors as the paint can send you for a loop, just don't do it inside it's bad news.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 09, 2007 10:50PM

I just painted a blank with the Duplicolor Mirage system. It is pretty cool looking. The colors are there, metallic, but they are not overwhelming like a solid color would be. I used the purple/green color and think it will go well with the holo guides I'm using. Its a boat rod for my wife hence the purple theme. Purple EVA grips, purple Avet MX. I think its just begging to be acid wrapped. Probably need to inscribe "electric ladyland" near the butt wrap.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster