I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Black Tips or Clear White Tips? That is the Question
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 01:55PM

We have been selling the Tough Sticks for many years with a Clear Blue Solid Glass tip and the rest of the blank is Gloss Black. I have been back and forth with so many customers that say make them all black or clear but not blue. I have several customers that like the blue because of the Black and Blue Ring guides we have but all in all folks are asking for a diffrent color. So I ask any of you who have used the Tough Sticks blanks what color would you like to see the solid glass tip be Gloss Black or Clear White.

These will not be changed until July.

My vote is for all Black and explain to the customer that they have a solid glass tip.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black Tips or Clear White Tips? That is the Question
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 02:29PM

Karry,

I would vote black, for the simple reason that if you go with white then some folks would say you're just trying to copy Ugly Sticks. I don't know if that would be a problem with you or not, but something to think about.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 02:36PM

Clear tip! That way it would be obvious that there is something different and would show how much of the tip is fiberglass. Don't worry, there is no way that it would EVER be confused with an Ugly Stck!! One look/feel would show that it was a superior rod, NOT a copy!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 02:42PM

Excellent point Mike!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 02:43PM

I think our group will retain an attorney to file papers to insure against Batson playing the infamous CARD! As a devoted LSU Tiger clan member we collectively request a beautiful blend of Purple and Gold be included in the available choices.

Four Votes Here for ballot box stuffing!

The Swamp Boyz

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 04:33PM

Definitely clear tip.. looks the goods. If your blanks are smooth then they will look different anyway.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 04:47PM

I vote for the clear also.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 05:33PM

Guess it's going to be split, I'd go with the black tip just so there is NO CHANCE that anyone would mistake it for a cheap ugly stick.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 05:41PM

Either one of those sound a WORLD better than the current blue. However, IF my vote actually counts (it doesn't at home) - then BLACK it is.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 05:52PM

I would vote for black!
As builders, we know the differences between these and ugly sticks.
But the average person will not and I for one don't want to waste my time answering that question every time it would come up.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 05:58PM

My preference would be a black blank with a yellow glass tip. If that is not possible, then I'd chose black with black tip. No clear for me.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 06:00PM

I think Steve has it spot-on. The customers round here would indeed mistake it for an UglyStick or an imitation of one. Evenif they didn't, their friends would and if they have to explain it, that takes some of the shine off. So I vote for black. Funny enough, grey "unfinished" blanks (like some of the Shikari's) don't get a boo round here - they are considered somewhat of a mark of something "special".

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: John Britt (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 06:04PM

Funny thing is the companies down here who still have the ugly stik blanks are painting them black and giving them a coat of finish to have a smooth look
John

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 06:25PM

how about gray , half way inbetween.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 09:48PM

I like the different colored tip. I would say make it a muted color but keep the color difference.

Off the subject.....Bill....Ohio>>>LSU ;~)

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: December 06, 2007 09:27AM

If the choice on tip color is just two, black or clear, then I would vote for black. Clear looks cheap to me.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 06, 2007 03:11PM

I've never built on one of these and probably won't ever, so take my opinion for whatever it might worth. I would go with all black.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2007 11:15PM

I think "Clear" -- if those are the two choices. -- but clear & not the streaky look of an Ugly Stick where black colorant is visible almost throughout the tip. For the record I like the blue tips that you already have. It's a really nice blank - good taper with excellent distribution of the power through the blank -- How about RED tips -- any chance - or if you're going to stop production of the blue tips let me know so I can pick some up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster