I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Freshwater kayak rods
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 06:59AM

I have a local canoe and kayak dealer that was asking about rods for kayak fishing. I have never been in a kayak, and was wondering what you would look for in a kayak rod design. Freshwater fishing, one model for panfish, one for bass-walleye.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freshwater kayak rods
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 07:25AM

Fairly short butt grip, moderate action rod, durable build (low modulus). Kayaks = high sticking ... plan for it by building an accommodating rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 09:20AM

If I remeber right Marc, the article on smallmouth river rods in Volume 7 Issue 1 will be a good place to start. I believe the rod described there, by Tom, was for kayak fishing.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2007 10:12AM

I see no reason to build a kayak rod any different than any other rod. In fact, I think folks wanting "kayak rods" are looking at the wrong aspects of things to make different.

What a kayak rod needs, is somewhere convenient to hook a rod leash, a butt that can be easily removed from a plastic rod holder, etc.

As far as the rod length, butt grip length, etc., I don't do anything different. I build the rods to suit the fishing I'm doing.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 11:14AM

i think of two things that would make a particular rod not suitable for me in a kayak.

i don't want the butt getting caught up in my fishing vest or PFD and I want it long enough to reach around the bow/stern if necesary. otherwise, its the same.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 12:33PM

Is there any benefit to a kayak rod being a 2 pc. over a 1 pc.?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2007 01:06PM

Only in terms of transporting it, but many kayaks have the ability to transport full length rods inside their hulls - we've done this with our Tarpons for years; the rods go inside the hull during the time spent getting to and from the water. Hard to get the rods out of the hull while on the water, of course, in which case I can see the benefit of the 2 piece models. Otherwise you just take them out prior to launching and set them in your rod holders.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 03:53PM

A butt grip of 10" or less works best for me. I prefer multi-piece rods whenever possible for safer transportation. When I am out on the water it is usually for a couple of hours and I don't store the rod during that time. A rod leash is vital and a Scotty rod mount makes life very pleasant. For fly fishing I go with 8'6" or 9 footers. Casting or spinning are fine with 7' lengths. You can always rotate the yak to prevent a problem with the line clearing the bow. You did say Freshwater.. so unless you're going after Sturgeon you will probably not be dealing with enormous forces... not like fighting a Thresher where you might get into some hairy situations.

You ought to try your hand at Kayak fishing when you get a chance. It really is a great way to go.

Dave

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 03:53PM

A butt grip of 10" or less works best for me. I prefer multi-piece rods whenever possible for safer transportation. When I am out on the water it is usually for a couple of hours and I don't store the rod during that time. A rod leash is vital and a Scotty rod mount makes life very pleasant. For fly fishing I go with 8'6" or 9 footers. Casting or spinning are fine with 7' lengths. You can always rotate the yak to prevent a problem with the line clearing the bow. You did say Freshwater.. so unless you're going after Sturgeon you will probably not be dealing with enormous forces... not like fighting a Thresher where you might get into some hairy situations.

You ought to try your hand at Kayak fishing when you get a chance. It really is a great way to go.

Dave

Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 04:10PM

I am with Gilbert and Jim. If the rear grip is too long, it gets hard to handle the rod from the seated position without catching it in your seat, vest...
Kayak fishing is all about limited space. I fish inshore and usually have about 5 rods. Everythig wants to get caught on everything else. I am finding that the low profile of running guides going all the way up the rod on a simple spiral keeps stored rods from hooking together (I have them in a rack of upright pvc tubes behind my seat while I am paddling). I don't use spinning rods, but can see that (rods getting hung up on each other's lines) as as a possible source of frustration. 8 feet is also the max I am able to load while casting from the seated position and even that is not loaded for a proper cast. 7' works well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster