I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for new flyrod
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 12:57PM

I have been building rods for 17 years now (7 years professionally) and this is my first flyrod(been flyfishing for many years, just never built one myself). It's a 9' - 12wt GLX. I want to keep the wt low as possible so I was thinking of using the fuji single foot titanium SIC guides. That would cut in half the amount of epoxy and thread as compared to double footed snake guides, and the guide itself is lighter in wt.(unless the snake guides are lighter than them). I was looking in my Merrick catalog and they have two versions, the TSG, and the TLSG, I can't see the difference beteen the two. They are both titanium with sic rings? What size guides and stripper guides do you all recomend? Also the spacing to start with, including the stripper guides? The dealer recomends a 16 and 12 for the stripper guides and 4 - #4s and 4 - #3s. The other question if I go with single foot guides is the conversion rate for the #3s and 4s to what size sic guides? Of course, I will start with your(or the manufacturer's) guide spacing and then do a stress test to adjust them to where I think they should be.

Determining the smaller guides is easy, the stripper guides are mainly where I am not sure of...distance from the reel, and distance between each other. I know this is alot of questions and you could write a book here and still not cover it all, but I apreciate any input. Thanks, Kyle Ligon

Ps, this rod is for me
PPs, if you could recomend a book on flyrod building that would help too
PPPs, is anybody familiar with the retractable 4" fighting butt that Merrick sells... RECREBU on page 84 in the Merrick catalog. I will be catching big fish with this outfit so it can't fail.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for new flyrod
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (77.88.66.---)
Date: November 09, 2007 01:03PM

Go for tlsg. Because they are lighter. I would go for 8 as the smallest size.

Date: November 09, 2007 01:10PM

Does "bridge guide" = "stripper guide" ?

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 09, 2007 02:30PM

The tlnsg is a solid titanium "concept" guide. The tynsg or tunsg one or the other is the matching bridge guide Kyle mentioned. As he said thats the perfect strip guide for that set up. I just bought a small stock of them to keep on hand and just love them. They are light as a feather cast a fly line like it's not there and are as rust and corosion proof as it gets without getting into the gold cermits. As to the tsg thats the old fly guide thats not concept and I think its tit. coated not solid. I also think thats the one I use on some of the bait casters I will build for some guys but am not positive. I'm waiting for the smaller tynsg's then 6. If someone has them for sale let me know. I know fugi came out with them but don't think there availabe in the us yet. Just a side note though kyle be prepared to pay for them they are pricey but if you will cast in a lot of salt water and corosion is a factor or you want a very high quality fly rod they are well worth in my opinion.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2007 03:57PM

IMO the TSVSG will work better.

Posted by: Brian Peck (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 05:31PM

Here is what I have been using for my heavier salt water rods, works great:

THVSG 16, TSVSG 12, TLSG 8 to tip, TFST 8 for the tip

The THVSG adds a bit more height than a size 16 TSVSG for some of the larger reels out, really gives a nice flow to the line.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Brian

Date: November 10, 2007 11:36AM

Thanks for the great replys guys, I think all my Qs have been answered, except for the last one about the fighting but. Is anybody familiar with the retractable 4" butt from the company the starts with an "M" and ends with "errick" ? It looks nice, but I can't tell from the pic in the catalog. Thanks again.............Kyle

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2007 01:26PM

IMO, use a standard permanent fighting butt - you aren't going to be taking it off and you WILL want it to be solid and reliable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster