I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide material
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.60-67-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 11:30PM

Is Hardloy, Hialide, Hialoy, and Hard Alum. Oxide all the same thing just under different brand names and maybe different color? I assume these are an upgrade to those normally refered to as Aluminum Oxide, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide material
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 02, 2007 11:42PM

I THINK that they are the same. I doubt that there are any actual materials named Hardloy, Hialoy, Alconite, Nannolite,, etc. I THINK that they are all registered trademark names for vaious brands of Hard aluminum Oxide guides!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 11:56PM

I tihnk the hardloy, hialoy and HAO are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing.

fuji says that hardloy is a special blend of HAO and that the alconite is different.

I would venture to say that the nanolite (AT) is comparable to alconite, zirconia would be a step above that and halide is the same HAO.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.34.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 04, 2007 01:20AM

You'll be hard pressed to get actual numbers from anybody to distinguish differences between the names and materials. More important to think about who constructs guides better, than who uses better material. Ceramics are good. Wire is bad.

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: November 04, 2007 08:48AM

Here's a dumb question regarding the above information on guide material. Can the Hialoy/Hardloy guides handle superbraids in a Salmon/Walleye Diver rod trolling setup rod? Charter captains will beat you up on price all day long if necessary. I have been using SIC guides, but that leaves little for the piggy bank when you consider the hours invested in an 8.5' trolling rod. I don't want to risk downgrading to Hialoy or Hardloy guides to find out that the boys eat them up and spit them back at me. Kind of off topic, but worth asking. Anyone brave enough to find out already?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 04, 2007 09:10AM

In a word, YES! Any guide (ceramic) on todays market will handle any line on today's market. The majority of the charters on Lake Erie/Lake Michigan use $49 Eagle Claw/Shakespeare rods with braid/leadcore with no problems whatsoever

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: November 04, 2007 10:28AM

That is the reason I asked. Most of the repair/replacement business I get is due to guide failure, especially on Dipsy rods. The factory guides get grooved out, usually from braids. Are the factory rods using that crappy of guides, or will the Fuji's, Pac Bay's, etc... ceramics fail as well? Maybe that is the same question, just more specific. I may try some Pac Bay Hialoy guides on my own rods and see what happens. I can't however duplicate the hard use the charter guys are famous for. They are hard to build for, and even harder to keep happy. They beat the @#$%& out of stuff and expect you to be able to build a rod that will take what they and more specifically, their clients dish out.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: November 04, 2007 02:37PM

I use a lot of the PB Hialoy and the braids will not groove them. I've used these for many years, now.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2007 04:04PM

From personal experience;
I have been using braid since it first hit the market.
I use it in about 60-70% fishing situations.
Some years I fish as many as two hundred days.
Much of that in bass tournament competition,
I have yet to have any ceramic guide grove.
I mostly use Batson and Fuji guides.

Posted by: Mick Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 05, 2007 08:54AM

Here are some data from another forum-I have not been able to confirm it with other info, but they sound consistant with what I've been told before. I'm not sure of the tool used for these hardnesses, but I expect it is Vickers.

Stainless Steel: 400

Chrome: 1000

Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400

Alconite: 1300-1500 (Based on the name ALconite, I expect Alconite is Aluminum Oxide, but have no data)

Nanolite: 1800 (I've been told Nanolite is much less brittle than SIC, so there is a tradeoff between the two)

Zirconia: 1000-1400

Zirconia PVD: 1600

SIC: 2200-2400

I've read that early braids were much harder on guides than today's braids. I've used braid for years, and on some pretty cheap rods, and had only the tiptops groove. I've read that any of the ceramics can handle braid today, but have no data. I now use Nanolite on all my rods for the guides, and use SIC or Nanolite for the tiptops. Have had none of them groove, but don't have years of experience with them.

Mick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster