I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Walleye rod Blank
Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: November 01, 2007 08:45PM

Friends,

I'm in the process of getting materials together for a walleye jig rod as a Christmas present for a client's husband. I know what my favorite blank is and because of that fact I don't fish many other blanks so I'm wondering what some of you favor. It will be mainly a jigging rod with jigs from 1/8-3/8 oz and most likely 6-8# line. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention the length probably 6'6".

Thanks, Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Walleye rod Blank
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 01, 2007 09:12PM

I really like both the Pac Bay T2SJ781, and American Tackle AMSJ781-B (-B is for black, which is in stock now). These are both great blanks, not tip heavy at all, very sensitive, and don't break the bank. They are a little lighter action, and a lot more fun to catch average walleye on than some of the heavier models. Both have a lifetime warranty.

Happy wrapping,
Marc

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: November 01, 2007 09:42PM

Lamiglas XMG 50 LSJ 842. I am about to build my second one. The first one was for my brother in law, it ended up weighing 2.8 oz complete. That’s pretty darn light for a 7 foot spinning rod, a LSJ 782 would probably be even better but it has been discontinued.

It would be nice if Lamiglas would bring back many of the discontinued XMG 50 blanks, they are really nice and starting to get the recognition that they deserve.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 01, 2007 10:21PM

For you conditions the St Croix 3S63MXF. For my conditions on the Columbia River where we have heavier currents and use bigger jigs the Lamiglas IMS or XS72ML.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2007 10:26PM

The XMG LSJ782 was not "discontinued" ... it simply comes in the same bag as the 842 and has an extra 6" on the butt section, nothing a jeweler saw and 5 seconds can't cure. Todd at Lamiglas has NO problem with you doing it, either - unlike many manufacturers.

BTW, that LSJ842 is a whopping 1.3 ounces ... I weighed one the other day for a client - they are simply amazing blanks.

mike harris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lamiglas XMG 50 LSJ 842. I am about to build my
> second one. The first one was for my brother in
> law, it ended up weighing 2.8 oz complete. That’s
> pretty darn light for a 7 foot spinning rod, a LSJ
> 782 would probably be even better but it has been
> discontinued.
>
> It would be nice if Lamiglas would bring back many
> of the discontinued XMG 50 blanks, they are really
> nice and starting to get the recognition that they
> deserve.
>

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: November 01, 2007 11:44PM

I really like the LSJ782 for walleye jigging, also. Like Mike said, these are discontinued. But also, as Jim stated, it's just hidden in the longer 842. Todd Vivian also told me that and just said to simply cut 6" from the butt of those to get it to 6' 6" in length. He certainly has no qualms about a builder doing that.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: November 02, 2007 01:05AM

For a 6 foot I would go with a batson RX7 IC722 med/fast. For a 6 foot 6 inch a RX7 ISJ782 med/fast. A RX7 822.5 med/xfast also is a real nice jig rod if you like it a little longer coming in at 6 foot 10 inchs.

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: November 02, 2007 07:43AM

My favorite blank....Shikari PSJ661.

Now that its gone...that's a tough call. I'd probably extend a GLX SJ721 to 6'6". Potentially the IMX SJ781.

If the 1/16 - 5/16 ounce rating spooks you...then put a 2 after those Loomis models.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: November 02, 2007 08:57AM

Randy Parpart (Putter) Wrote:
> I really like the LSJ782 for walleye jigging,
> also. Like Mike said, these are discontinued. But
> also, as Jim stated, it's just hidden in the
> longer 842. Todd Vivian also told me that and just
> said to simply cut 6" from the butt of those to
> get it to 6' 6" in length. He certainly has no
> qualms about a builder doing that.
>
> Putter
> Williston, ND

Very interesting......

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 09:05AM

I will have to double check, but I believe that I know where there are several of the Lamiglas LSJ 782 blanks left. If any of you are interested, just shoot me an e-mail to - customtackle@united.net and after I check about those blanks still being available, I'll e-mail you back and let ya know.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: November 02, 2007 11:03AM

I picked up 3 of the St. Croix 3C63MXF - amazing blank. They are going to make awesome walleye jigging rods, as well as for various bass fishing applications as well. It's called a dropshot blank, and the x-fast tip is the ticket for jigging...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.southslope.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 07:09PM

Rich Handrick Wrote:
> I picked up 3 of the St. Croix 3C63MXF - amazing
> blank. They are going to make awesome walleye
> jigging rods, as well as for various bass fishing
> applications as well. It's called a dropshot
> blank, and the x-fast tip is the ticket for
> jigging...

The 6'9 ML ExFast is also the perfect jigging rod if you like them alittle longer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 02, 2007 10:18PM

I'm with Rich. For vertical jigging in current (Detroit River) I much prefer the fastest action I can get.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 10:28PM

Thanks for all of the input . I think I'll try one or two for myself as well.Right now I prefer the ST Croix 3S66MLF. I'll probably opt for the LSJ 842 for myself. I'll build my first split grip with Fuji NPS reel seat and titanium guides.
Thanks again,
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster