I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide feel
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.60-67-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 28, 2007 11:02PM

I recently built my first bumper spiral. St. Croix C66MM and used Fuji Alconite guides. I got out on the water last weekend and caught a bass or two but I really wanted to put it to the test. I found a ditch with some specks in it and tied on a D.O.A. to see if I could get something going. Caught a few small specks and then caught one of pretty good size. I noticed when reelin him in that it felt as if the line was coming through "sticky" guides. Sort of a steady slippery grinding feel while reeling. Didn't pay it much attention but then I laid into a 6 pound sheephead and really noticed it bad. BTW when they tell you that just before a rod breaks it begins to straighten and point toward the load, they ain't kiddin. I saw this thing straightening just before he wore out. I checked it afterwards and everything seems okay. Anyway, what could be causing this grinding sensation I'm getting when reeling in a bigger fish?
Thanks,
Greg Marshall

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide feel
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: October 28, 2007 11:14PM

Crack in a guide or tip-top, reel problem are two that come to mind.

Check your line for unusual wear or abrasion. If there's any of that, check your tip-top first, then other guides. A piece of cotton ball or a piece of the wife's old nylons usually works for finding a crack that's not too visible. Using magnification of some kind helps, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: October 28, 2007 11:45PM

Are you using braided line? I have noticed this sensation before when using braids. I'm not sure why it happens, maybe the braid sets up a vibration in the guides.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 01:45AM

I know that when I hook a king, the braid I use makes a swooshing noise and sound like it is wearing the guides down.. strange.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2007 09:54AM

Most of the sound comes from the line moving along the tiptop, particularly when the line is coming across it at more than 90 degrees. The tubular rod blank acts as a giant sounding board for the vibrations there. Some ceramics are worse in this regard than others and some lines can cause this moreso than others. I've had it happen with the red Cajun line but not with the same rod when using Berkley Trilene, for example.

See the post below on "Dave Hauser's Lost" for more information on how blanks should flex and when they would fail under normal circumstances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2007 10:07AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 10:06AM

I have had the same sensation from dirt buildup on the guides. It is especially bad if you are using braid, and the tip is the major contributor since it is first in line to pickup the dirt. I use Windex and a toothbrush to scrub down the guides often, this takes care of it.

Like Tom said different lines have different sounds running through the guides, Fireline has a rough sound that is different from the whoosh that you get from braid, and fluorocarbon is generally louder than mono.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster