I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster question
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 06:50AM

I have used FlexCoat high build for a long time (15 years). Yesterday I tried some LS Supreme high build, and it was much easier to get a nice one coat finish. A lot of guys replied to another post I had saying Threadmaster performance was even better. Just wondering what properties it has, or benefits you guys see with Threadmaster.

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster question
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 21, 2007 11:08AM

Hi Marc.

You should do a search on the subject because it has been covered quite extensively. The short version is that it's characteristics are much the same as the other epoxies. It seems to be clearer and doesnt yellow so for white work I use it a lot. I think it cures a bit harder and has a little bit longer pot life. The only potential problem I have encountered is bubbles but that may be more often due to my technique of application and mixing.

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2007 11:47AM

hey doc i've noticed that if you mix a batch pour it out on some aluminum foil and let it sit there and spread out for 5 or 6 minutes then hit it with just a little bit of flame on the bottom of the foil( no more then a few seconds..5 at the most) most of the little bubbles will pop. you have to be careful with the flame though cause if you use too much TM will almost instantly get hard. i've noticed that at some point in warming it up the TM will get real runny and almost immediately after it gets runny it will harden really fast.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 21, 2007 12:02PM

Clarity, clarity, clarity!!! That and it's ease of use and quicker set time (by set, I mean time before you can stop turning it) Pot life is good

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2007 07:09PM

LS Supreme High Build is the highest build single coat finish on the market. That may or may not be what you're after.

ThreadMaster is certainly good and probably the clearest of all the epoxies currently being sold for thread finishes.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.182.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 21, 2007 11:24PM

Marc, I'm a long term FC user who tried LS and and hate it. I find it useful for making butt caps but for a finish, I detest it. I have less trouble with TM than I do with LS, but still have problems with it. If I'm not using white thread, I use FC. With white thread, I use TM for the promise of no yellowing, and do what I can to make it work. Not a problem with the finishes, just in the user. Having too many problems adapting to other finishes. After using one finish for so long, it's hard to learn how to use another.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 22, 2007 12:50AM

We moved from FC to LS and liked that. Then we moved to TM and, before the Lite version was available, we did what Andy suggested and microwaved the TM, which pretty much elminated bublles. You lose a bit of pot life but that's an acceptable tradeoff.

We also switched to using one of those little "cement mixer" expoxy mixers with the ball-bearing in it. That gives a more even mix, and also kills bubbles.

We like the clarity and strength. I'll tell you a story about the strength of TM sometime.

But LS has good properties too, and it yields a different surface. I'd suggest trying both on similar test wraps to see the differences.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 22, 2007 12:30PM

ive used fc high build, flex coat lite, ls supreme, and threadmaster...i now use TM lite but i like to build it up where i want it and i like that its thinner than high build i also like TM because its the clearest one ive seen so far although the lite version of FC is also pretty clear

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster