I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Freshwater blank and guide advice needed
Posted by: Scott Hunt (68.153.9.---)
Date: October 09, 2007 10:03AM

Entering a new realm...building the first rod for someone other than myself...kind of scary!

Going to be a Christmas gift for my 11 year old nephew at the request of my sister in law. They are big RV camping folks, so I think the rod will be used for a variety of light freshwater applications from trout in streams to bluegill and bass in lakes. I am guessing something that will throw small spinners (rooster tails, beetle spins, etc.), bobbers and bait, small plugs, etc.) would work great, maybe a 6 foot blank. I am going to be responsible for buying the reel also...thining a Stradic 1000 or 2500. Within reason, and knowing that it is for a child, I want to consider durability and cost, but I want to provide him a quality, useful rod. I have never built any freshwater stuff, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I will use the concept guide system to set up the rod. I have done this for some saltwater rods, with the "intersect" guides being #8 flys (Fuiji BLAG-8J) using Tom K's article and great guidance from some of you. Based on that article, its seems like #6's might be more appropriate...any advice with laying out such a "lighter" rod as described above?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Hunt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freshwater blank and guide advice needed
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 10:23AM

Scott -

Here is a GREAT choice for what you want to accomplish ...

St Croix 2S60LF4
Fuji Alconite Guides ... 25, 16, 10, 8, 6, 6
Fuji Alconite Tip ... 6(4.0)
St Croix Handle Kit HKS-2 (If you prefer)
St Croix Travel Case RC-22

For the reel, a Daiwa Exceler 1500 is a VERY nice reel for any price. It comes with a spare aluminum spool even.

This combo would be very high quality, portable and durable.

Jim -

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 10:39AM

Another the Batson SB720-4 , I like Jim's reel choice but I bet you could decrease the bigger guides by one size each and hurt nothing performancewise. The Okuma reels also hold up very well in a kids hands.

Posted by: Scott Hunt (68.153.9.---)
Date: October 09, 2007 10:43AM

Thanks guys! I may have mis-lead ya'll with some of the background info above...the rod definetly does not need to be "packable/stowable". I think that a 2 piece or 1 piece blank will be fine. Their RV is huge and storage is not an issue.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2007 10:47AM

I'm inclined to agree with spencer.
Being it's for a boy I would go Batson everything except reel.
Great products at more reasonable prices.
I'm with spencer on the guides also.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 11:10AM

I wasn't concerned with storage in the RV, but the packables are great for the kids on bikes as they have a rod shorter than their bikes bar width which increases it's chances of survival. Being a Spin Bass blank will give a bit more backbone for bass.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink)
Date: October 09, 2007 12:01PM

Here is another thought.
The new Batson Forecast Downrigger blank in the "L" light action.
It is very flexible in the first 1/3 of the blank, but has some backbone.
It should be very durable, is a blend of "E" glass and RX6 Graphite.
Nice light glass tip going into graphite backbone.
The price is right also.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

We are building some of these in our shop and should be a big hit for lighter fish, but with enough power for bigger ones.
Hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 12:02PM

Here is a spec of a basic all around kit! Many up grades available.

Description:
Rod Blank Model # ISP843F-M
Butt cap: SBC20B
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG9A-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GS17C-B
Reel Seat Shim SHIM17SPIN
Foregrip: FG25A-250
Winding Check: BWC09
Hookeeper: BHKS
Tip Top BPLt06R05.0
1st guide from tip top BVSLG06
2nd guide from tip top BVSLG06
3rd guide from tip top BVSLG07
4th guide from tip top BVSLG07
5th guide from tip top: BVSLG08
6th guide from tip top: BVSLG10
7th guide from tip top: BVSLG16
8th guide from tip top: BVSLG30
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.5-9.25-14.25-19.75-25.75-32.5-40-49

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 02:10PM

Quantum has some very nice reels suitable for this rig at substantially lower cost that the ones mentioned above. Their reels are built well and work great. You can save some serious money, too.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 02:34PM

A baston RX7 would be my choice, probably the ISB822.5 and I'd chop off some of the butt to get the length I wanted. This blank will handle everything from light spinner's to landing big catfish.

Reel would be a Daiwa Capricorn, no question about it. Very nice reel that will last forever with no maintance, just like his new rod.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster