I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Decal connections "peel and sticks"
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 25, 2007 08:52PM

I have a 9" decal from C to go onto a rod. This decal IS a peel and stick and NOT a waterslide. Since I only have one shot at this and I'm not use to the peel and sticks from DC, do you guys have any tips for me. The decal is clear with lettering on it. Any tips would be appreciated.

I was thinking of lying down a coat of TM and let that cure. Then wetting the area with a little tiny bit of soap and water mixture and working it down tight and let dry.............Thoughts anyone?

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal connections "peel and sticks"
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 25, 2007 09:41PM

I have been using peel-n-sticks from DC more recently. The biggest things to overcome are getting the decal straight, no air bubbles, and no fingerprints. This is the method I have come up with that works best.

Peel a small part of the backing off the decal using your fingers, keeping finger contact as close to the edge of the decal as possible
Cut off a small part of the backing, (1/2" or so), exposing the adhesive of the decal.
Cut off the clear portion of the decal that probably has a finger print - should be just a sliver.
Line up the decal, and press on the center of the exposed adhesive.
Peel back the rest of the backing as you lay out the decal on the blank - but only allow the center of the decal to stick.
Go back and use a burnishing tool to gently rub the rest of the decal on to the blank - the squeegees from DC work well also.

I have had excellent success with this method. I would avoid the soap as it could cloud up behind the decal.

Good Luck,
Marc

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2007 10:12PM

DR;
another suggestion is to use the edge of an exacto razor blade knife to seperate the edge and avoid the finger print all together. I would also suggest that instead of cutting off part of the backing. You fold it back that way you have a piece to grasp between your thumb and forefinger as a tab to pull back. Would do the rest as Marc suggest

If you end up with a bubble you can slice it or poke a hole in it and work the bubble out starting at the edges of it and working to the hole when epoxied the hole or small slice will diapear

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2007 10:14PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 25, 2007 10:58PM

Yup, TM undercoat and then care in laying it down.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 25, 2007 10:58PM

Yup, TM undercoat and then care in laying it down.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: September 25, 2007 11:47PM

I'll get a coat on the wraps and get the marbling done tomorrow, then I'll tackle the decal on Thursday eve.....thanks guys! Sounds about the same way I do the SC decals that have that clear backing.

DR

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 26, 2007 05:04AM

Why don't you ask Debbie how they recommend the installation ?

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 26, 2007 09:07AM

I haven't used any peel and sticks for a while but what I used to do is place the decal on the rod where I want it to go (with the backing on) and then tape the end of the decal on the rod (I usually do this at the end of the decal but one 9" long you may want to tape it at the top of the decal). The tape acts like a hinge and you can carefully flip up the decal peel the backing off and carefully work the sticker back down making sure the tape stays tight and once the sticker make contact with the blank carefully work down the decal making sure no air pockets form.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 09:31AM

Boy is this ever timely! - Jimi just whacked me with some small peel and stick - I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out a way to trim, separate and place. I am too used to the ease and placement of waterslides - I am wondering if you leave excess around the edge when applied over finish can the edge be cut after application and pulled off after it is placed? On a small one is there any way to get the sticker to release from the backing without picking around and messing up the edge. I was wondering about exposting to steam slightly from a steam iron. Any tricks would be highly apprecialted.

Deb and Jimi those things are really "pretty" and I hope you enjoy this thread as you sit there sipping your coffee and listening to Allison Kraus! Seems like your are the one messing with people's minds this week by shipping out goodies!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 09:47AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 26, 2007 10:31AM

I'll leave a little extra on one side where I'll pick the backing off, If it gets messed up from trying to get the backing off I'll take an exacto knife and cut the messed up area off after the decal is applied, usually it is just along the border.

Date: September 26, 2007 11:52AM

Bill,

They are super hard to seperate!! I have used a razor blade in the past, but it's tricky and a PIA......if you find a backing removal system before Thurs eve.....let me know!

Fred, sometimes you get a little more from the people that USE the products everyday, versus the persons that create them.

DR

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 11:54AM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 26, 2007 12:14PM

This thread is why I use waterslides!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 01:38PM

I have found an easy way to separate the backing from the transfer. I usually leave one side of the decal longer than the other when trimming the decal to size. Looking at the decal from the top I use a razor blade to make a perpendicular cut (on the longer side) through the decal but not all the way through the backing. At this point you can bend the decal at the cut (it should separate at the cut) and you should be able to pull the tab and backing off to expose the adhesive side of the decal. As for installing on the rod you're on your own.

Date: September 26, 2007 03:52PM

Thanks Mark I needed that one - that was the trick that I was looking for. Jimi I know you are watching this with great interest. I think Mark's tip solved the problem that I have been pestering you for the past three days. I am glad to find out that I am not the only one that can not easily remove the paper from the back of the thing! Back to the plain old Invisilines!

Date: September 26, 2007 05:33PM

Absolutely, Thank you Mark!!

I have the finish on and I'll tackle the decal tomorrow eve.........

DR

Posted by: Larry Shorthill (---.pixs.philips.com)
Date: September 26, 2007 06:16PM

The guys who build RC model planes deal with decals all the time. I haven't been to those forums (fora?) recently to remember the exact techniques but I recall that they area spray where the decal is to go with Windex, then peel and slide the decal into exact place and finally work the Windex out from under the decal. This is from memory and may not be correct, but perhaps someone who knows of this technique can give the exact method. Scale RC guys are extreme sticklers for exact placement and their decals are pretty intricate at times.

Cheers

Larry

Date: September 26, 2007 07:30PM

Larry,

That is what I was talking about when I mentioned soap and water. I've done that on many large solid decals, but not a clear backed one and I didn't know if the added soap may be harmfull to the decals clearness.

DR

Date: September 26, 2007 08:22PM

Larry we are dealing with an entirely different animal in test mode. I am trying to get a highly complex colored decal without doing a lot of expensive tracing and file creation which is required in doing a waterslide. Decal Connection is being very helpful in trying to find a new way to do this type of work in a cost effective manner. These stickers are stunning and if we can find a way to work with them as easily as waterslides we will be in business. Take a look at the graphic I dealing with - Placement and alignment of graphics is quite crucial on a custom rod and Decal Connection is really helping us work this methodology out. Gain takes pain and boy do I have a headache trying to get these things placed straight, bubble free and with no fingerprints.

Water and soap under this thing is not an option.

[images.google.com]

And yes we do have written copywrite permission!!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 08:25PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Jimi Ellis (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2007 06:29AM

Yes Bill I am watching and drinking coffee but I am listening to Michael Cleavland ( he knows he can kick some rear on the fiddle). Alison does slip in now and then.

I do test many ways of applying decals, (both waterslide and Peel n Stick) but some of the results I can not comment on until every part of the process has been completed.

I am waiting on a new rod dryer motor to complete some testing to check clarity of decals. There are some some industrial type solutions (surfactants) that we use in placing vinyl decals at SouthernGrafix and I am testing them on Peel n Stick decals at this time.

I will follow up with the dryer motor later today.

Bill, Thanks for the comment s about your latest decals, they did look good.

I was just discussing with Chuck last night on the Peel n Stick decals and I think he is going to add something the Peel n Stick decals that will make life easier on those types of decals.

If there are any questions that you guys and dolls have with decals or have any suggestions, please feel free to contact me at:

techsupport@decalconnection.com or orders@bill-mardecals.com

Date: September 27, 2007 08:16AM

Jimi I have no clue as to what you are testing but be careful - many of the industrial surfactants will contain small amounts of Dow Corning silicone agents which act as friction reducers. After you find one that works be sure and test a few of the finishes over the top to insure that they do not fisheye. I am going to insure and gurantee the success on the placement of the "Masked Rider" decal by "allowing" the customer who is paying for them to make the placement!

I have no problem with alignment of the holographic fish ones that are burnished into place. Could the peel and stick decals be placed on the same type material?

Gon Fishn

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster