I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tiger eye blanks
Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 10:41AM

maybe i was to vague in my earlier post. i was woundering about the tiger eye blanks that merrick tackle sells for casting rods, though i do give thanks to those who responded earlier.
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2007 11:47AM by Moderator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tiger eye blanks
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 10:51AM

I beleive that they are supplied by Sevier Mfg as well. Sevier sells to Merrick Tackle.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 11:57AM

Doug,
Your still vague, what do you want to know? Color? Durability? What the blank are made of? Blank recommendations for specific uses?

Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 01:21PM

how well they hold up

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 03:27PM

So far, for me, they held up as well as any of the other IM6 blank out there. Haven't heard of anyone else having problems with them.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 05:18PM

Doug,

I've been selling Tiger Eye blanks for 5 years with no real complaints yet. I do get lots of email from cleints telling me how well the blanks perform. They also hold up well over time.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 07:33PM

I have not tried the casting or spinning blanks yet but I have built two fly rods using Tiger Eye blanks that I got from Joe Douglas. I gave one to a good friend and kept the 5/6 for myself. This blank reminds me of the original GLoomis IM6 blanks. Nevertheless it made a great casting tool and one of my favorite fly rods.

Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2007 09:28AM

I helped a friend build a light tiger eye spinning rod. Don't ask me why but he used it for snook off a jetty. The rod went double and he lost the fish but it did not break.

Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 25, 2007 04:54PM

Hi there,

I just found this post doing a search about those blanks.

A friend want a 2pc, 7'6" or 8' blank for his father.
Nothing high end, just a custom rod to fish sea bass in France with medium hard or soft baits.
The choice is really limited with those specs but the Tiger Eye blank seem to match them with the 762 and 802 models.

Anyone can advise me about those models in M and MH ?
Blank weight ? Action ? Lure weight ? Application ?

Joe, if you read this : would you ship oversea ?

Thank you guys,
Pierre

Date: September 25, 2007 06:19PM

I do ship overseas. I also have a chart with line & lure weights for each blank in the Tiger Eye series. I'll send you copy via email. Joe

Joe Douglas

Date: September 25, 2007 06:21PM

Pierre, You need to un-hide your email address using the Control Center tab above. Or, just send me an email and I'll reply with the chart. Joe

Joe Douglas

Date: September 25, 2007 08:28PM

To answer your specific questions:

7'6" Medium...Fast action...8-12 lb line....3/8-3/4 oz lures
7'6" Medium Heavy...Fast action...8-17 lb Line...3/8-1 1/4 oz lures

8'0" Medium...Fast action...8-12 lb Line...3/8-3/4 oz lures
8'0" Medium Heavy...Fast action...8-17 lb line...3/8-1 1/4 oz lures

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.saix.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 10:42AM

Hi Chaps,

I live in South Africa and have bought Tiger Eye Blanks from Joe on a number of occassions before. He ships them to me with USPS Priority Mail and I have had no problems. As for they blanks - they are sweet - good looking , very pleasant to cast and durable. Many experienced fisherman cannot beleive the value for money with these blanks - oh and just for the record, I am in no way affiliated with Tiger Eye or to Joe!

Best regards,
Gavin

Date: September 26, 2007 10:43AM

Hi Chaps,

I live in South Africa and have bought Tiger Eye Blanks from Joe on a number of occassions before. He ships them to me with USPS Priority Mail and I have had no problems. As for they blanks - they are sweet - good looking , very pleasant to cast and durable. Many experienced fisherman cannot beleive the value for money with these blanks - oh and just for the record, I am in no way affiliated with Tiger Eye or to Joe!

Best regards,
Gavin

Date: September 26, 2007 10:44AM

Hi Chaps,

Best regards,
Gavin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster