I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Praise for Kirkman's Static/Dynamic Distribution Method!
Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 12:26PM

So I just completed distributing the guides on my Dan Craft FT904-4 using the method Tom suggests in his book. I am still new enough at rod building to be way impressed by something that works so well. After setting the stripping guide as Tom recommends, I then used his static distribution method for the rest of the guides. The difference in casting distance and the way the line lays out between Tom's distribution and the distribution suggested by the blank manufacture is unbelievable (both my wife and I ran numerous "live" casting tests before, during and after distribution). I guess all you pros out there do this on all your rods, but I can certainly see now why a custom rod performs so much better than an off the shelf rod (of course, the real truth in the pudding will come in a couple of weeks when we are in the stream with little mouths fighting to gulp down our flies!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Praise for Kirkman's Static/Dynamic Distribution Method!
Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.ded.btitelecom.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 03:07PM

Would you post the settings/number of giudes for your 904-4 say from the tip & TIA?

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 06:05PM

I'm curious as well, -- maybe I should start this as a separate thread. My experience has been for my own personal rods, that the "standard" starting measurement for the first stripping guide (from the base of the rod to the first guide) is too long for comfort when I am fishing. I always feel that I have to overreach (bend forward and reach for the line just behind the first guide) to retrieve/strip a fly or pull in line to get enough slack out for the next cast. I don't feel my body dimensions are unusual -- I'm about 6 ft. tall with normal looking arms !! I have taken to putting this first guide on at least 1 - 2" closer to the base of the rod than "standard" measurements from the tip would call for, using standard measurements for the rest and then adjusting per the static/dynamic tests call for. (And, I haven't had to do much adjusting from "recommended", only minimal movements).

What is the experience of others here on the first stripping guide measurement ?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 07:07PM

Read the guide set up article in the Library above and consider picking up back issue of Rodmaker dealing with that. Every blank can be quite different and to just copycat guide placement from a factory rod or someone else may NOT give you optimum placement for YOUR rod/fishing style and would be defeating the purpose of a custom rod.
Just my opinion!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: September 25, 2007 09:13AM

Dave Wylie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would you post the settings/number of giudes for
> your 904-4 say from the tip & TIA?

Dave: I am pleased to post the measurements. Please note that (a) I am not a pro, (b) according to Kirkman's method, placement of the stripping guide is a function of the individual. I am six foot tall with (I guess) normal length arms. Below I will post the manufacturer's suggested positioning and then my re-positioning using Kirkman's method. All measurements are from the installed tip-top and in inches from the tip-top..

Manufacturer's recommendation: 4.25", 9.5", 15.0", 20.75", 27.5", 35.25", 44.25", 54.25", 65.5" and 79.5" (stripping guide.)

Kirkman method: 4.0", 9.5", 14.75", 20.5", 25.0", 31.25", 37.25", 45.25", 60.0" and 76.75" (stripping guide.)

Since this is a very fast blank with high modulus, it does most of its "bending" at the top 1/4 of the rod. As you will notice, there is a distinct forward (towards the tip) movement of the guides at about this location. I suspect one will not experience such movement for a "slower" or lower modulus blank.

In any event, Kirkman's method sure seems to make a difference.

Harold

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: September 25, 2007 09:30AM

Tony - I don't think there is a standard for stripping guide placement. Because it is so far into the butt I don't think stress or casting performace is the critieria for placement. IMO it's comfortable reach by the angler. if at all possible I have the customer "measure" the distance to the stripping guide by holding the (or a) blank in the line stripping position (of their choice) and reaching to the blank with the line hand. Letting me know a distance on a rod they enjoy fishing is also an option. The distance that is best for them is where I place the guide. I have the opposite problem than you on my personal rods. I extend the distance about 1-1.5" because of arm length. After placing the stripping guide I use a starting chart that I've found to be pretty close for the running guides then final adjustment using the static test. Only if it's impossible to measure the customer's reach do I use the "standard rule-of-thumb".

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2007 09:33AM

Those aren't measurements from my method - those are Harold's measurements using the system I outlined. You might get slightly different measurements when you perform it, based on how many guides you use and how things look to you. But in either case, you should get something that works very well.

I think Steve is on the money on his stripping guide comments. One thing you can do, is start the stripping guide with a location that puts it about 30" to 32" from the butt. That will usually put you in the ballpark on most fly rods of any length.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster