I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lightweight reel seat
Posted by: Paul Kolis (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 07:01PM

I am building a Cabela's SLi 8'6" 5wt (1.39oz) and am trying to make this the lightest 5wt outfit I can.
(It will be teamed w/ a Lamson-Waterwoks ULA P2 reel) Single foot recoil guides and now I'd like to add
a nice lightweight (preferably wood) reel seat - any suggestions ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightweight reel seat
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 20, 2007 08:05PM

You didn't give much info. Uplocking or downlocking? I'd get with a REC and Struble with a good discription of what you want. Unstabilized woods would be lighter, but more prone to water damage. Good luck with the rod. Keep thread and finish to a minimum.

Posted by: Paul Kolis (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 08:18PM

I have no preference for uplocking or down locking reel seats, either is OK w/ me.
Butt diameter of blank is .350

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2007 06:19PM

If you really want it to be the lightest 5 wt. possible, then you should find a Struble or REC aluminum, small o.d., cap and ring seat (i.e. downlock), and turn a regular cork insert and grip for it--no burl cork. (I think you can order a cork insert from REC....?) You could do the same thing with a Fuji SKM16 seat, but I'm guessing that the small o.d. aluminum/cork combo might weigh just a tad less than the Fuji. Then, use short wraps on your guides--no extra decorative length. Start your wraps just a couple turns before wrapping over the foot. Then, as soon as you're done with your locking wraps, tie off. Skip the hook-keeper wrap (the guides function as great hook-keepers), skip the inscription area, and skip the epoxy altogether. Use three coats of Permagloss for your guide finish. It will be plenty durable, and it has a really nice understated matte look to it. Just remember--thin coats.

If you really want to go over-board, use Pearsall's gossamer silk for your wraps. Because it is smaller diameter than regular "A" nylon, it will necessarily save some weight, plus it looks really good under a few coats of permagloss (no CP). Because the silk is so low-profile, three thin coats of Permagloss is typically enough to make any thread ridges invisible.

Please understand, I don't generally get this crazy about weight. We're talking about mere fractions of an ounce; it is so little weight, in fact, that you'd likely never notice it during a day of fishing. But, your post did say that you wanted to make it as light as possible, so I let my mind wander a bit.

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.saix.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 07:55AM

Hi Paul,

I too am an ultra lightweight fan - most of my fishing is with 2 or 3wt rods. For light weight reelseats I would recommend as follows:

1. REC "Master series" PLNR with sliding bands;
2. REC "Classic series" AUSL;

Both of these are really for 0-4wt rods, but that does not mean they wont work great on your 5wt. I have used both, but for what you are after I would suggest the REC "Classic series" AUSL. Also look at the :

3. REC "Classic series" ABGS; OR
4. REC "Classic series"ABS,

But they will be a bit heavier. If money is no object consider the Bellinger ULSB 660 NS CORK CORE - [www.genuinebellinger.com]. This is a gem of a reel seat, but about $130.

Hope it helps.

Gavin

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.saix.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 07:58AM

Oh Paul, I forgot to mention, if you are dead set on reducing weight what I sometimes do is use a cork reel seat, but take the sliding bands off and use cable ties whenever I put the reel on. This is more for 000wt stuff though, but does make a significant diference weight wise!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dial.mhtc.net)
Date: September 23, 2007 08:38AM

Paul, I don't know if you turn your own seats or not. I'm just throwing an idea out here, If you want to save weight on a wooden reel seat you may want to remove some of the wood. There are a couple of ways to do this: 1) is to use a flex coat arbor inside the wooden insert. or 2) you could remove some of the wood in the insert by splitting the seat like Tom Kirkman did in this photo [www.rodbuilding.org] . I don't know how much weight you will actually save but if you split the seat it should save at least 15-20 percent of the original seat. One other thing you may want to look at is the wood itself, Cedar is 1/2 the weight of say Bocote, Wenge weighs less than say Bloodwood and so forth. It's just a thought.

Posted by: Robert Hively (---.dynamic.hbci.com)
Date: September 25, 2007 10:52AM

I know this is late and may trouble some, but the lightest reel seat is a Fuji, carbon fiber spin seat. Just shorten and epoxy in the butt cap they sell for them. You can make up- or down-lock.

Yes, they are not pretty, but they are well made and light...

Hive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster