I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dry ink printers?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 09:51AM

Mud Hole sells decal material that I have used with gel pens. They also state in can be used with Dry Ink printers. Besides Alps - does anyone use one of these or know where to get one? Not afraid of paying for one, as I know they may be pricey.

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dry ink printers?
Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 11, 2007 11:16PM

When I talked to them about this it turned out that it used the wax inks. There are several on the market but Alps is the most affordable. Getting ink for it might be a problem depending on where you live, and it too is relatively - well, pricey.

Another do-it-yourszelf solution is the Testor's decal kit (yes, the model paint and glue people) that can be used with an inkjet printer. Testor's supplies the decal material in several fors - clear, white, etc. This kit really works.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 11:29PM

Marc - I have been using this system. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it's a pain. You can look at some of my rods in my member gallery.

Chuck

[www.pulsarprofx.com]

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 08:39AM

Marc Xerox has a few that are called color solid printers thing is I don't think they print in white nor metallics something to look at and there are some super high priced printers that will do almost anything but the cost and size puts them out of contention unless printing is your business
John

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 10:13PM

Something else to consider as a possible source for transfer printing... There is a new printer soon to be released called Zink (Zero Ink) [www.zink.com] . The initial offering will be a printer built into the body of a digital camera to print small pictures on the spot but there will also be desktop and portable versions available at very reasonable prices, conparable to standard deskjets. This zero ink system uses a new, one pass, version of thermoautochrome printing where the color crystals are embedded in the paper so there's no surface ink, toner, or wax that may cause problems with coatings. The old thermoautochrome printers do have transparency film available so I'm guessing that this one will also. The paper will cost a lot more than standard bond paper but should still be quite reasonable considering there will be no cost for ink or toner. The older thermoautochrome paper may even be compatible with the new printers so you could get an idea for what the paper would cost by googling it.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (129.42.184.---)
Date: September 14, 2007 03:44PM

Not so fast:
"The key is the patented ZINKTM Paper, an advanced composite material with
patented yellow, magenta, and cyan dye crystals embedded inside and a protective
polymer overcoat outside."

What that tells me is that they do not have white in their pallete. They rely on the paper to provide white. Interesting technology, but it isn't going to fill the void, anymore than existing sublimation photo printers do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster