I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

recommendations
Posted by: John Straus (204.136.26.---)
Date: September 05, 2007 09:25AM

I have a friend who wants to build a 7' spinning rod for the boat to catch 40 to 70 lb small tuna. He wants a fun rod that will be a challenge, I told him to get something capable of yielding 20-40 lb line, but needs something with a lot of power to handle the fish near the boat. He wants fast action for more fun. Has anyone made a rod for similar needs that has some pointers to look at, including reel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2007 09:42AM by John Straus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recommendations
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2007 09:49AM

I have used stout, extra fast action Hot Shot rods for this very thing. Running 17lb to 20lb line they're a lot of fun to use and can handle the fish, but the fisherman needs to understand how to fight a fish and realize this would be considered light tackle for fish of that size and type.

Date: September 05, 2007 01:11PM

What length did you find to be best suited.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2007 01:25PM

The ones I built needed to be long enough to cast nearly 80 to 100 yards so they ended up around 7 to 8 feet in length. Downside is that the longer the rod, the more power the fish can exert on you.

If you don't need the casting distance, go shorter.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 02:14PM

Graphite USA SW70M is about the power range of the HS blanks Tom was talking about and faster than the listing would lead you to believe. The SW70MH will be heavier and faster. Both are light and handy for a SW blank. Very hardy and will take quite a bit of abuse/heavy loading.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2007 02:50PM

Super Seeker CJB70F.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 03:19PM

Rainshadow RCLB70XL or RCLB70L

Date: September 05, 2007 03:50PM

Wow, thanks everyone. What about the rogues, how do you all like those?

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 06:04PM

i have a gator glass 30-50 that would probably do pretty good(it might sound pretty heavy but its got nice power and is great for 20-30lb amberjacks) so i imagine it would be fun for small tuna...the blank is like 6'9 and although it isnt the lightest blank it is rock solid and like $35 so it wont break the bank

mudhole sells them if you would like to check out that one and other gator glass blanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 10:45PM

I've only used a few Rogues, some of the popping blanks and a few SWW and a SU haven't anything to complain about.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 05, 2007 11:57PM

Look at the PacBay 84X series in the heavier weights. Also, Batson has some really great sticks in this class.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: September 06, 2007 09:41AM

What about reels, nothing too expensive but some good quality spin reels

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:05AM

Okuma Salina ... SA80. It is built specifically for saltwater and has a dual drag system that is only matched in extremely high dollar spinning reels. It is hands down the strongest, most reliable bang for the buck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster