I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stand up Questions
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 05, 2007 08:38AM

I have a guy on the east coast wanting a stand up rod. Being a west coaster (FL) I don't have much need for a stand up rod and was hoping for some recommendations for blanks and anything else to look out for building a rod of this nature. If I decide to take on the job I would hate to sink a bunch of money into components and screw it up with a stupid mistake. Anyone out there with experience building stand ups?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stand up Questions
Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 08:48AM

V5#6 Rodmaker has anything and everything you would ever want to know about standups including information on how to build the handles to suit the different style harnesses used in standup fishing. Most indepth article I have ever read in regard to rod building and/or fishing this way. Mike Ballard, Tom Kirkman, Ian Miller and Tom Kohl all contributed to make it what it is.

Date: September 05, 2007 08:53AM

Richard I'll definantly pick up that issue. Any recomendations for blanks? He is looking to use it with a harness primarily on big Yellowfin Tuna and the occasional Sword trip.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2007 09:12AM

You'll need to find out what type reel he's going to be using, the line class and the type harness he'll employ. I assume he knows enough about stand-up fishing to be able to be able to tell you how he's geared up. If not, you need to get educated on stand-up fishing and be able to recommend the best gear and combinations for him to use.

One of the biggest problems that fishermen just getting into stand-up gear have is that they really don't understand the principle behind the technique and they end up buying pieces helter skelter and end up with stuff that doesn't match, i.e. a long butted stand up rod and a high waisted harness. That sort of thing.

You'll want to have some discussions with him about this. All things considered, stand-up fishing is highly effectively but is also one of the few areas where a guy can have a really bad day and even get seriously hurt if he's using the wrong tackle for what he's trying to do.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2007 09:13AM

I just built 4 superseekers the SS-CTSF55XXH model. They are nice. Calstars are also nice especially the graphfighters series.

I like the straight thru application with these as I only have to cut a few inches off the bottom to get the right fit.

Aftco 3 series reel seats (will fit the wide foots), aftco gimbal (both come in colors).

8 or 10 inch slick butt

Hypolon or EVA grips (10-16 inches)

Aftco HD guides unless he is using windon leaders then you may have to use Windons, then I might opt for the All American guides as they are not as bulky as the Aftco windons.

If he wants unibutts, then you can buy some pre-cut blanks (gator, pac bay, amtek), but they don't pull as nice as Seekers or calstars..imo..

Or you can cut down a blank to fit the unibutt ferrule.

Ernie

Date: September 05, 2007 09:27AM

I actually recommended that same blank in the 5' length based on the hype I have heard of the new Super Seekers. I should have been more specific as to his requirements. He is wanting a 5' blank, short curved uni-butt with wind-ons

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 12:39PM

Most standups on the east coast are used for trolling so a slick butt or aluminum butt is a must. The short curved unibutt is to short to lock into the deeper rod holders on some boats so a extend-a-butt is necessary or the entire rig may be lost when a strike occurs. Jesse

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 03:22PM

Forecast with black and blue set up!
Description:
Rod Blank Model # FSU56XH
Butt cap: AG27-BL with LBC30B Cap
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: Slick10
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: ETAHD22-B/BL
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BF14A1012
Winding Check: BH11
Hookeeper:
Tip Top BRST12.0
1st guide from tip top BSUUG10
2nd guide from tip top BSUUG10
3rd guide from tip top BSUUG12
4th guide from tip top BSUUG16
5th guide from tip top: BRSG03
6th guide from tip top:
7th guide from tip top:
8th guide from tip top:
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4 3/4-9 3/4-15 3/8-21 1/2- 28 3/8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster