I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel fly rod blank
Posted by: Adam Brown (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: September 02, 2007 05:37PM

Hello everybody! I am planning to build a 4-piece (or more) 10-wt travel fly rod for the salt. I am looking at a couple of different blanks, the Black Dog Tackle “Tiger-Eye” series, the Temple Fork TiCR X 10 wt and several of the more reasonably priced Rainshadow/Forcast series. I am looking for a powerful rod with good line feel and sensitivity. Since it will need to survive the rigors of travel and hurried baggage handlers it must be extremely durable as well, so I am not looking to stay away from the supper high modulus blanks. I was hoping that somebody experienced with these blanks could help me to decide which would be the optimum compromise between the characteristics mentioned above; or are there any other blanks that I should consider. Thanks, Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel fly rod blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2007 06:14PM

The Rainshadow XF9010-4 would be a good one to look at.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 02, 2007 06:52PM

The Graphite USA F4910DHX or the DH models are some of the most durable blanks there is and they fish great. Another to look at would be the CTS or Dan Craft FT blanks. The GUSA rods have saved my bacon on a wilderness trips or tough conditions more than once..

Date: September 02, 2007 07:41PM

Who retails the GUSA fly blanks?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 02, 2007 09:43PM

Bingham Ent. and Mudhole are good starts. Angler's Workshop used GUSA blanks as their shop Salt Stalker and Stream Stalker blanks, they may have some left. They had quite a pile of them at an excellent sale price back at the first week of last month when I was in last. Beautiful green blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2007 09:44PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 11:53PM

Adam,
The Dan Craft FT 9' 4pc in 8wt will easily handle a 10wt line and is a very durable blank. If you can get away with a 9wt use the FT 7wt blank - my favorite. If you go with the Dan Craft FT 10wt you will not load it with a 10wt line.
Herb

Date: September 03, 2007 01:49AM

The Dan Craft seams to be well liked, how does it compare to the TFO and the GUSA?

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 11:35AM

I have several of the tiger eye blanks and am very well pleased.. I have a blank in my hand that is a 9 foot 14 weight. It will get built next.
I don't think you can beat the quality and the price of the tiger eye blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:20AM

I don't think the TFO blanks are anywhere near the durability or quality of the GUSA or Dan Craft.
The GUSA's dual helical layup is extremely durable and helps keep the blank round under loads that would shatter others. The GUSA saltwater blanks are renowned for the the power, fishability and abuse they can take, much more than most graphite blanks. The same design is used in the fly rods. Don't forget the CTS blanks. Just built up a lighter 4/5 version and it shows , so far, design advantages of both helical and conventional layups in a nice light , lively package.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster