I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread size comparison
Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 12:52PM

I did a search for this info but did not find it on here so forgive me if this a repeated question.

Is there a thread size comparison chart out there anywhere?

For example

size 100 thread = size 000 thread
?????? = size 00
size 50 thread = size A
????? = size C
?????? = size D

Is there a chart out there anywhere that compares all the various thread sizing systems?

If not, I would be willing to put together a chart if you all will provide the sizing info.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread size comparison
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2007 01:39PM

Here you go ...

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: September 02, 2007 01:59PM

THanks Jim,

That is helpful but not exactly what I am looking for.

Let say I find a spool of vintage silk thread in a color I like and is not available anymore. It is labeled as size 0.
Is that the same as size C or size D or what? If I would want to use that vintage color in with other silk I already have I need to be able to match the sizes.

I'm not looking for info that compares tensile strength and such but rather info that compares one brands diameter sizing system with others.

Ray

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 02:18PM

Go to, @#$%& a sponsor on the right. Go to rod building supplies and then to thread. At the bottom of each type of thread you will see the sizes given in letter size as well as the decimal size. They have Gudebrod regular, NCP and metallic as well as Madeira #40 Polyneon listed.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 03:45PM

Here is what's stated on @#$%&
THANKS MARK & COLLEEN!!!

Gudebrod Thread diameters

NYLON

NCP

Size Diameter Break Strength
A .006" / .152mm 2.7 lbs.
D .0104" / .264mm 7.4 lbs.
A .006" /.152mm 2.2 lbs.
C .010" /.254mm 4.6 lbs
D .012" /.305mm 5.1 lbs.
HT METALLIC

TRIMAR

A .007" / .178mm 3.5 lbs.
D .0104" / .264mm 6.5 lbs.
C .010" / .254mm 4.5 lbs

Madeira poly-neon 40wt. = .005in

Would be nice to know the size of "0" & "00" as well. I think they are much smaller than "A"

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2007 03:47PM by Raymond_Adams.

Date: September 02, 2007 04:30PM

Does anyone know how to break down the system YLI uses for their threads?

Or gutermans wt system? What is the diameter of their 30 wt thread 40 wt thread etc.

I found the 0 and 00 for gudebrod

00 = .005"

0 = .006"

The numbers I found for gudebrod silk thread are

A = .007
B = .008
C = .0108"
D = .012"

The numbers for gudebrod metalics are

A = .007
D.= .014

It is interesting that the silk and metallics are slightly larger than the same A and D sizes in the NCP and nylon are. I am sure that there is a + or - tolerance on all these threads and the given numbers are probably averages within the manufacturing tolerances.

That raises a question.

How much diameter variance is acceptable before it affects weaves and wraps?

I have found on the yli website that there is some interest in the thread industry of going to a universal sizing system industry wide but there does not seem to be much headway in getting it done at this point.

IT would be nice to be able to mix brands or vintage threads by being able to know what the various sizes actually are

If any of you have diameter sizes we are still missing please share them.

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2007 04:31PM by Ray Cover.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 07:17PM

Ray,

Silk sizes - Comparison:

6/0 Pearsall,s Gossamer ( the finest)
4/0 Pearsll's Naples
#100 YLI's Finest Silk ( roughly 3/0)
#50 YLI's & CT (similar to the 2/0)
2/0 Guderbrod/s silk
#30 YLI's Heaviest Silk ( perfect for restoring heavy, ie boat rods)

Bob Crook
La Pine, OR

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 08:06PM

Ray; More important to you for doing weaves, is the number of threads you get in a centimeter. The measured diameter of the strand of thread is actually of little use. Knowing that the relative size of "C" being larger than "A" is really about all you need. Then you need to know how many size "A" threads laid side by side you will get in a centimeter. You will find an average number if you keep records and put thread on the blank the same way each time. You will also find that you won't get the same number of threads on the blank each time if you put them on one at a time. You need to wrap some threads around a piece of blank until you have a width of 1 centimeter and then count the number of wraps. Do that several times and take an average. Thread wrapped under tension will give you a different count than thread that is not under tension because the thread is thinned as it is stretched.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.43.87.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 11:55PM

Either Ray, "00" (2/0) is slightly smaller than "A"--probably about the size of Madeira 40wt. "0" (1/0) will be larger than 2/0, but I don't know if it is larger than "A".

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 12:05AM

Thanks Michael
AH!
00 = 2/0
0 = 1/0

DUH!!!!! I learn somet'in new every day if I let myself!

Thanks again.

GREAT THREAD!! (no pun untended!)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster