I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TiCh coating - hardness and slickness?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 03:01AM

Pardon this basic question.

1. How hard is the Titanium Nitride (TiCh) coating compared to SIC, oxides, etc?

2. Is there a difference in hardness between black TiCh and other colors such as gold?

3. I got some black TiCh coated guides and they really are not very slick at all. Under a loupe, they look rather 'matte black'. hHowever, I've seen photos of TiCh in gold color and they look very slick like chrome. Are the gold any slicker than the black?

Thanks in advance for your help. What a great forum!

Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TiCh coating - hardness and slickness?
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 04:19PM

There is a page in the Baston Catalog that speaks about the different materials, if you don't have the catalog here is a link to the online version [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Bob Crook
La Pine, OR

Posted by: Kyle Olsen (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 04:24PM

TiCh is the more or less black color. The gold colored finish is TiN(Titanium Nitride).

I haven't had much experience with TiCh yet(the rod I'm working on has a TiCh hood and guide frames), but in my experience, TiN has a tendency of wearing off over time. I believe that it is used to plate drill bits, etc because it can be removed and re-applied fairly easy...I'm not sure if that's a plus or minus for rod building.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 07:08PM

I grew up in a machine shop, and have used a lot of TiN coated machining tools, as well as other PVD coatings. The coatings really help with high heat applications in machining, but we are talking temps often over 1000 deg. F. I don't really think they help much on guides, other than cosmetically. And, because like any coating, it can chip, I am not a big fan.

I think a good smooth ceramic ring is the way to go.

Just my .02.
Marc

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 02:48AM

Thanks guys. A reading from Batson and some postings on this board gives conflicting stats on hardness. I think Batson shows around 1700 but others on this forum have posted about 2200-2500 hardness. I think that may be a factor of the underlying material.

Regardless, I've got the answers I need. THANKS to all for responding.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster