I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt cap transition using Rod Armor...
Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 02:09PM

I'm having some difficulty getting a really clean transition from my butt cap and my reel seat to my grips (split rear and front) that are finished with Rod Armor. Can someone recommend a method that would allow me to get a seamless (or at least really smooth) transition between them? I'm just using a regular rubber/vinyl butt cap and a standard Fuji trigger reel seat and they really don't mate up to the Rod Armor very well at all. Should I use a different butt cap? Should I install the reel seat before installing the "amored" grip? Any pictures that anyone has showing how they made the transition?

The way that I did the installation of the rear split grip was that I wrapped the grip areas with cork tape and then put the rod armor on that. After that was done I put the reel seat on and snugged it in place as much as possible and did the same with the butt cap. I then installed the front grip the same way. The transition from the reel seat to the rear grip looks ok but the transition to the front grip looks terrible as does the transition to the butt cap.

This is only the 4th rod that I built (11 1/2 ft. surf rod) and I really like how it turned out and how well it works but I need to fix the grips because I really want to keep this rod for a long time but the transition areas are bugging me to death. I would also like to keep using the Rod Armor as it is very comfy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt cap transition using Rod Armor...
Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 02:54PM

Have you tried epoxy ramps ? I don't think I would do that on the butt cap, but for mating the areas around the reel seat , epoxy ramps work for me.

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 03:25PM

Mark Ganrude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you tried epoxy ramps ? I don't think I
> would do that on the butt cap, but for mating the
> areas around the reel seat , epoxy ramps work for
> me.

I haven't done anything like that next to the seat. I was hoping that someone had a technique for getting the grips to snug up really tight to it so that I didn't have to do any epoxy work. I did do ramps between the split grip and on the front of the front grip and they turned out really well.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 04:45PM

I believe I would have installed the Butt cap over the end rod armor and finished with a short wrap.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 09:20PM

I did like Barry said. I slid the butt cap over the Rod Armor, and finished with a short trim band/epoxy to complement guides and butt wrap.It turned out great. I also did this up against the reel seat on both the rear grip and foregrip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster