I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static guide placement for fly rods
Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: August 01, 2007 01:39PM

All of the tutorials that I have seen on the static guide placement procedure for casting rods (and other "reel on top" rods) invariably has the process being done with the guides UP, which, of course, makes perfect sense. The exact opposite is true of the photos I have seen of fly rods being set up (including in Tom's book), in that the guides are facing downward. All of the times that I have used this procedure, I have noticed that it really does not make a lot of difference when I move a guide one way or the other. The line seems to follow the blank pretty well either way. And so, my thinking on this is, why bother? When in this position, the line will fairly naturally follow the curve of the rod no matter the care put into the spacing. Why not just us the guide spacing charts and be done with it?

On the other hand, it occurs to me that a fly rod ought to be static tested in the same position as a casting rod (guides up) since a LOT (at least 50% depending on your casting style) of the force put on the rod during casting is loading the rod with the guides forward (on top), and poor guide spacing in this position, especially given the diameter of a fly line, could have the distinct detrimental affect of the line slapping or sliding below the blank. This would be especially true when hauling during the casting stroke.

Do any of you have thoughts on this? Does anyone static test their fly rods with the guides up, and if so what is your experience?

Thanks,

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2007 02:09PM by Walt Natzke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static guide placement for fly rods
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: August 01, 2007 01:58PM

With fly rods, I have always taken the St. Croix guide spacing chart as my starting point, loaded the rod to see the result, and almost never have I changed a single thing. And I have loved the results. I think the position and size of the butt and choke guide affects spinning rods but I have never noticed any difference on fly rods, with the one exception being that if there are too few guides and certain gaps that are too large, you tend to see the line slapping against the blank, which can't be good.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 02:44PM

Walt,
You are on the right track. A fly rod is not any different than any other rod. Castability and fish fighting ability go hand in hand. What applies to a spinning rod or a casting rod also applies to a fly rod. If you do a static line test on a fly rod and the fly line is touching the blank you need to consider moving the guides or increasing the height of the guides. You should also be considering the size of the reel you'll be using. For the life of me I don't know why the majority of rod builders use the same size stripper guides on a 6 weight as a 15 weight but they do. Once you determine the guide spacing and size for a certain weight fly rod write those dimensions down because it has been my experience that they will work for any fly blank of the same weight with very little change or tweaking.
If we are doing a first time build on a new fly blank we always do a static test with the guides up and a reel that is commonly used on that weight fly rod to make sure we are using the right guide set up.

Michael A Taylor
Blue Water Fly Tackle

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2007 04:00PM

If you have enough guides, or even more than enough, it won't matter much if you move the guides around a bit. But if you have too few, or barely enough, it will make a great deal of difference when you move them around, even by a little.

The recent series of articles on fly rod guide, selection, sizing and spacing in RodMaker should make this easier to understand and to do.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: August 01, 2007 04:30PM

Actually, Tom, it was these articles that sparked the question in the first place.

Basically I originally thought that static guide placement for fly rods was always accomplished with the guides down, but I think now that guides up might be a better approach, providing more consistent results.

Date: August 01, 2007 06:07PM

The relationship of the line to the blank will be essentially the same. If you do it guides, up, you'll likely end up with more guides than you actually need on a fly rod, particularly if you're trying to keep the line from touching the blank.

But you can certainly do it either way that suits you.

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: August 02, 2007 12:49AM

Tom;
Would you name those recent back issues of RodMaker you mentioned above? I recently ordered some back issues but I don't know if those articles were included... Thought provoking discussion by the way...

Thank You, RON.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2007 01:33AM by RON NIX.

Date: August 02, 2007 08:47AM

The series started about midway through volume 9 and has been continuing since. The next issue will finish things up.

Thanks!
Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 04, 2007 08:22PM

Thank you all for your valuable input, both on and off the board.
My understanding of the process is much more complete!

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Re: Thanks!
Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 12:52AM

I'm a little late in getting back, but thank you as well for your help and invaluable information. I'll review the back issues again...

RON.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster