I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new to rod building
Posted by: david harwood (---.quickclick.ctc.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 04:05PM

which is the best power wrapper for the beginning rod builder?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new to rod building
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2007 04:08PM

I'm not sure a beginner needs to worry about power wrapping. But if you know you're going to be involved in this for the long haul and just want to get started with one, then any of the units from American Tackle, Batson Enterprises or Pacific Bay would be excellent. Flex Coat also makes their own power wrappers and they get good reviews as well.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 04:09PM

unless you are building lots of rods i dont think you need a power wrapper.....you can make your own hand wrapper that definately does fine

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 04:28PM

You might want to check out the "Library" above and look at the article by Greg Pennell, Easy to Build Rod Wrapping Jig, it has pictures and easy to follow directions. For less than $25.00 you can build yourself a rod wrapper. Then if you are going to be building lot's of rods you can always get a power wrapper.

Bob Crook
La Pine, OR

Date: July 31, 2007 04:38PM

thanks alot for your info.I think im going to like this hobby alot i just dont to make mistakes with the purchases i make at first.i know the tools that you use are very important.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 04:47PM

Doesn't take much in the line of tools to build rods for yourself. When you need to do it faster is when it escalates. Built rods for many years with a hand wrapper. You'll be surprised how fast you can wrap using one in a very short time. A supply of reamers, a few diamond or fine files for guide foot preparation, exacto knife or razor blades and you about have it. A few supplies and your in business.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 04:54PM

Nice but not necessary! I have a power wrapper and never use it. I prefer a hand wrapper. Like everyone said, it's not necessary. Won't help you make a better rod, just faster. There are several types available and I would wait and see if you want one and what type you might want. Your e-mail is hidden so e-mail me at mbarkley@wowway.com and I will send you some info

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 05:48PM

As a fellow newby I'd like to welcome you to the board. There are some great folks here with tons of knowledge and experience willing to help point you in the right direction. Don't forget to search the archives for answers; you're very likely to find enough information there to put some insight behind your queries. Check out the photo section; there are some outstanding examples of fine work and even some examples of things that could go wrong. The vendor list on the left of this page is a good source for blanks and components. I've made purchases from quiet a few of them and every one of them have gone out of their way to be helpful in getting me the correct merchandise even if (when) I had no idea what I was looking for. Another source here is the RodMaker Magazine; you could look up back issues and order any that spark a particular interrest.

As for equipment; like you I'm a beginner, building just a few rods. I have a wrapper made from a cardboard box and it works fine for me. I did finally break down and buy a rod drying motor for about $25 because I was tired of turning the blanks by hand for hours at end (in my reclyner, watching TV, with the rod supported between my toes). I happen to already have a dremmel tool which makes quick work of filing the guides otherwise I'd be getting the diamond files and wishing I had a dremmel tool. If you know what kind of rod you want to build, and/or what kind of fishing you want to use it for, these guys can give you some good pointers on what kind of blank and components you would need. There are quite a few varieties of finish, color preserver, therad, etc. Some of the vendors have kits available with everything you would need or you can purchase just the stuff you're running low on or want to try out.

One word of warning... whatever rod you build; you will end up with some tools, thread, epoxy, brushes, etc. just sitting there in a box, and It won't be too much more investment to get another blank, guides, and handle to build an extra rod. Then you'll want to try something else that caught your eye; an ultra-ilte, a flippin stick, a fly rod. Then you'll show off your work to friends and end up promising to make one of them a rod. By then you'll be getting a little skill behind you and you'll want to make something special for yourself. Your wife's good dining room table becomes a workbench. The ceiling fan has scratches on it from rod tips. Your ink pens have practice wraps on them. And finally you realize you're hooked. It's a good think to be hooked on though!

Have fun!
Jim Hicks

Date: July 31, 2007 06:07PM

yeah rod building is worse than a crack addiction! first youll build a rod then you will quickly find out that you need a rod for jigs and another for swimbaits, crank baits, topwaters, various heavy sticks, and 1000 others haha and when you are finally done youll realise you have 100 rods and only 3 reels

Date: July 31, 2007 06:26PM

Jon just posted a pic of a very practical, inexpensive, easy to build hand wrapper that is more than adequate for building rods without a huge investment [www.rodbuilding.org]

Check out the "Equipment" gallery on the Photo Page for a lot of ideas on home made tools/equipment. You do nee4d to register and log in to view the pix (tip, use the exact name password that you use on the forum. Easier to remember!)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2007 06:29PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 06:32PM

I think my very first post was this question, I didn't want to waste the money on a hand wrapper if I was going to end up wanting a power wrapper....That was about 18 months ago or so, I probley built 30 rods or so on a hand wrapper....

Now I am considering a powerwrapper, however somehow I always spend my funds in components....

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 07:28PM

I went in the other direction I bought the power wrapper. Mine is a Pac Bay with the upgraded chuck. I was afraid the hand wrapping would be a problem for me. So I went all out and bought alot of equipment. I really like my wrapper I am by no means a pro. But with every rod I get better and better. That was a good choice for me but you may prefer to start with a hand wrapper. I dont regret spending the money on the wrapper and other tools. I feel it makes my job a little easier. But either way you go you will be hooked and cant get enough of it. I am always on this board reading and looking at rod supplies. I just cant get enough. I also hope to meet everyone in NC in Feb. Thanks to all that have helped me in my new found addiction. I figure Feb will be like a Rod builders anonymous lol.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 08:43PM

Brent,

Nope, it's more like a huge fix for a rod building junkie, or a better description would be the WOODSTOCK of Rod Building. Prepare to INDULGE!!!!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: August 01, 2007 02:20AM

I have a Pac Bay wrapper with the upgraded chuck and supports (same as Brent). It is perfect for me. I build about 6 rods a year as a hobby.

Remeber this: A well wrapped simple design will always look better than a poorly wrapped complex design. I think the great aussie rod crafter "Ian Miller" said that!!

Go the power wrapper.. you can always wrap by hand on it and the power is there if you so desire.

Cheers
Chris

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 01, 2007 01:44PM

Personally, unless you are building heavy SW rods that require long underwraps, I think the power wrapper would be a waste of money. Either save that money, or sock it away for dues to RBA (Rod Builder's Anonymous).

Date: August 01, 2007 06:38PM

thanks brent for your advice,it really helps with my decision.Im looking forward to meeting you at the show.let me know when you will be there and i will ask around for you.

Date: August 01, 2007 07:19PM

Savid,

You're in for a real culture shock in Feb!! You can't even imagine the show no matter how much you read about it!!!! It's the Super Bowl of rodbuilding

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: August 01, 2007 07:32PM

you should make a homemade wrapper(you can do it for under $20 easy) and if you think you need power then throwing away the handwrapper wont be a big deal because it didnt cost much...you should also get a subscription to rodbuilder magazine! for the $27 i think it is you get 6 issues and 27 that are packed with loads of info and worth wayyyyyyyyyy more than $27

Date: August 01, 2007 07:40PM

Your best investment would be $15 for a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman from one of the vendors on the left

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster