I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vertical jig blank for crappie
Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 03:32PM

It is becoming harder and harder to find short ( 6` or less) , light ( under 1/4 oz ) spin jig blanks for crappie fishing in 15 to 30 feet of water. Do any of you have a favorite spinning blank that meets the above criteria? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vertical jig blank for crappie
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 22, 2007 03:45PM

What action are you looking for? Why limit your search to an SJ blank. Any blank with the action that you want is fine. If you want the fast or extra fast action, buy a 5' or 5' 6" blank and extend it. That will give you a faster action

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 22, 2007 04:03PM

The spin jig blanks have a little more beef in the butt and mid section that coupled with a fast delicate tip make excellant vertical jigging rods for fishing 1/16 and 1/8 oz jigs in 20` of water. I`ve fished spinning blanks that work well, but for my preference,don`t fill the bill as well as the spin jigs. The list of short UL spin jig blanks now seems to stop with G Loomis blanks. I am allways looking for someone elses advice and suggestions.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2007 04:09PM

Hey Don,

What # line do you use mostly? If you are brave enough to go down to 2# line, you may find that you can use lighter jigs. The 5'6" 2 pc. American Tackle Matrix blank is great for this. For 4# or 6# line you may want to consider the 6' Matrix lite SJ blank, and trim it a little if you wish.

Have fun,
Marc

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2007 04:10PM

Batson has a pretty extensive lineup - both in their "spinning" category and in their "bass" category.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 22, 2007 04:16PM

Don,
St. Croix has an SCIII I believe in less thank 6 feet. A little pricey for a rod that light but I have one and love it for vertical jigging gills.

Date: July 22, 2007 04:29PM

I have a 5`9" St Croix SCV that I built with Fuji TATSG`s ,16 and10 plus 4 TLG 5`s and it is an outstanding rod but too slow for what I`m talking about. I also have a Lami LSJ 720 ( now woefully discontinued) that is an AWESOME blank and is my favorite. I fish 2 or 4 lb mono , or 5 or 8lb braid. The Lami is great but at times I would like a similar rod just a bit lighter.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 22, 2007 04:44PM

Shikari SJ5300 at the Mudhole site. G Loomis SJ 6400 or SJ720.

Date: July 22, 2007 05:03PM

The top of the line Shikari`s have been discontinued by ATC, and while the Loomis` are fine blanks, I am looking for other options.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 05:59PM

Look at CTS

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 22, 2007 09:54PM

Just built a SH III ISJ600 six foot Spin Jig and an ISJ602-1 for Crappie jigging. Haven't been fished yet but they really feel good. I think the ISJ600 will be better in deep water. The 602 will be used in shallower water.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2007 01:57AM

Don, are you sure you meant you'd like something lighter than the Lamiglas LSJ700 that you are using? I doubt you'll find anything else in that same power and taper that is lighter. That blank is 0.5 oz! Hard to beat.

Mo

Date: July 24, 2007 07:34PM

Mo, I guess I didn`t make myself clear enough. Since most of my fovorite spin jig blanks have been discontinued, I was wondering if any crappie fisherman could recommend a spinning blank that he likes for vertical jigging 1/16 -1/8 oz jigs iin app. 20` of water. When I referred to the lightness of the LSJ700 I meant power and not weight. This is one fabulous blank, to me Lami is really missing the boat by not really promoting this model as a great panfishing blank. I live in Kansas and many people here have, other than custom rod builders,are not familar with Lamiglass products.

Posted by: Mo Yang (67.41.154.---)
Date: July 26, 2007 12:40AM

Ah...you want even lighter power than the LSJ700. Got it. I'm with you which is why I've not built out mine yet. Will do so eventually just to have a 1 oz UL rod.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster