I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomis GLX
Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: July 22, 2007 07:30PM

Just got a Loomis GLX blank. Very nice blank however, the finish is strange. It looks to be scuffed along the entire length. Is this normal? I almost looks as though it needs refinishing.

Has anyone had any experience with these blanks? Are they super delicate or can they withsatnd normal boat use.

I am usually pretty careful with my gear. I have a set of Cermets for this rod so it will be pretty special... not the sort on rod one wants to break!! 9not that any customs rods are)

Cheers
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomis GLX
Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2007 07:55PM

I have 7 of the GLX rods and they all have the somewhat dark grey dull look. I put the Fuji gold Cermets on a 7' GLX & 9' IMX and they are for my personal use as I don't know of anyone who would spend $500+ for parts to build/sell these type rods. They are awsome to fish with. I stuck a 22"+ LMB with the 7' saturday am. I would not put a finish on the GLX and just leave it as is. I have found G Loomis CS to be easy to deal with on broken rods and when my wife broke her 4wt glx on a trip to Montana they had her a loaner rod the next day and replaced the rod after the trip. Several times they have responded in this type of outstanding service.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2007 07:56PM

It's a tough blank. But, no, you can't beat or bang it around. I'm not sure what you mean by "normal boat use." It's not going to break because you fight fish with it, nor will it break because you set it in a rod holder. But it might break if you bang it against the gunwhale or drop a rod locker door on it.

Date: July 22, 2007 08:01PM

I undertsand that bashing it around will damage it.. I am reffering to normal in and out of rod holders, general travel in choppy conditions etc..

I haven't broken a rod yet so, I must be doing something right.

I am looking forward to fightiing some smaller pelagics on this stick.. small Kingies are great fun ont he light gear.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 08:38PM

Chris...

As an ex-G.Loomis Pro-staffer, I will be honest with you and say that the GLX requires more care and will take less abuse than other Loomis rods. The GLX is incredible graphite, but is more susceptable to breakage.

But like Tom said, the rods will not just break for no reason.

Are the "scuff" marks parallel to the blank, or are they directional to the spirals of graphite? The blanks are not polished/glossy from the factory.

Good luck, the GLX are pure fishing tools!

Paul

Date: July 22, 2007 08:46PM

Paul,

The scuffs are parallel to the to the blank. You can only see them when you hold the blank up to the light and really look hard.

The only problem with the finish is that every finger print etc shows up when you touch it. If you spill glue or finish on it, it will be nigh on impossible to get out of all the micro pores in the blank. The result will be a patchy finish where you only want the natural blank finsh to be.

Some extra care is necessary this time..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 10:53PM

Just broke a 6 wt 4 piece GLX in Alaska, first time I've damaged the rod since I bought it back in the early 90's. It made it through 4 days. Big fish, riding in a beater jon boat in one piece 12 -14 hours a day, heavy sink tip line, high winds. One fly strike to the blank and it was over. Got my money's worth even if Loomis wasn't repairing it. My partner fractured a Sage TCR 6 wt the same day at the second ferrule.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 04:02PM

Chris,

From what I remember, I don't recall any longitudal marks or graphite bands of such. A 6 inch section near the ferrules may have them, but they are noticable.

Maybe someone else will chime in and have an explanation. Also, if you bought the blank form a reputable dealer, no doubt it is a "real" Loomis blank.

I know Loomis has scaled back on making blanks due to overseas criminals cloning them, then passing them off as "real" Loomis blanks. I personally would build it, fish the guides off of it, and take care of it during the interim and hopefully she'll hold together. LOL!

I wish I could have been more help,
Paul

Date: July 23, 2007 04:54PM

Paul,

I have no doubt it is a genuine blank. I purchased it from one of the sponsors of this site.

I am probably being picky. I am just used to the other Loomis blanks which are polished.

Can't fault the lightness and action though. Superb.

Cheers
Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster